Premed 101 Forums

How long does it take for confidential assessment forms to reach OMSAS...

Just wondering.. how long does it take the referee forms to reach OMSAS from Edmonton? I have one who sent one from Vancouver a week ago and they've received it while my other referee from Edmonton sent it about two weeks ago and OMSAS still hasn't received it. I'm just wondering cause I need to know if I shuold be asking my referee to re-send the letter.

Thanks!

But doesn't the form specify "Do NOT use a courier service" because of blah blah blah blah blah. All I know is that regular mail is the only way to go...

I thought their recommendation was not to send speedy mail in case the dummy at the front desk doesn't put it away properly after receiving. I think my last referee might have sent it priority mail from the US. Now I'm worried!

I used express post (it's not a courier) it shows up the same as regular mail, except you have a tracking number to verify it reached them, and it only takes 2 business days.

A courier requires the person at the front desk to sign for it or receive it, which I'm sure bogs them down with the 5000 applicants they'll be getting this year :eek:

I used express post (it's not a courier) it shows up the same as regular mail, except you have a tracking number to verify it reached them, and it only takes 2 business days.

A courier requires the person at the front desk to sign for it or receive it, which I'm sure bogs them down with the 5000 applicants they'll be getting this year :eek:

Ok thanks fireball. I'm not sure if they sent it courier or express post. Hopefully it gets there in time!

Just wondering.. how long does it take the referee forms to reach OMSAS from Edmonton? I have one who sent one from Vancouver a week ago and they've received it while my other referee from Edmonton sent it about two weeks ago and OMSAS still hasn't received it. I'm just wondering cause I need to know if I shuold be asking my referee to re-send the letter.

Thanks!

How do u know if OMSAS has received it?

FYI for those of you who are worried about your assessment forms.... I just called OMSAS to see if they had received my US transcript, and so at the same time she told me all three of my assessment forms were outstanding (you have to have submitted your application to check on these things). I told her one of the people sent it in 2 weeks ago and she said it sometimes takes them a few weeks to process them. I asked her if I should be worried if they don't arrive by Oct 1st and she said not at all. As long as they were given to the referees with enough time (the print date shows up on the forms) then its not problem if the forms arrive after Oct 1st since "its out of your control". :)

Agreed. Receipt of reference letters isn't going to make or break your application, as long as they get there eventually. I think one of mine showed up in January the year I applied.

Just for the future...your referees have been kind enough to take time and write reference letters for you. The least you can do is give them a pre-addressed ExpressPost envelope to send the lor in. This does two things: makes you look really organized, and lets you track when the letter arrives at omsas.

I asked her if I should be worried if they don't arrive by Oct 1st and she said not at all. As long as they were given to the referees with enough time (the print date shows up on the forms) then its not problem if the forms arrive after Oct 1st since "its out of your control". :)

Thanks for this info, Rach!

Would you happen to know (or did they tell you) what would be an acceptable date on the forms?? I mean, I know if it says Oct. 1 that might be a problem, but what if it says Sept. 27 or something like that? I will actually have to reprint one of my forms because the referee told me that her address info has been changed :(

Thanks for this info, Rach!

Would you happen to know (or did they tell you) what would be an acceptable date on the forms?? I mean, I know if it says Oct. 1 that might be a problem, but what if it says Sept. 27 or something like that? I will actually have to reprint one of my forms because the referee told me that her address info has been changed :(

No I didn't ask about the date since I had printed mine a while back. I don't think you should bother reprinting, I think if OMSAS will be contacting our referees it would be by phone and not mail.... Your referee can just add their phone # or something at the bottom of the letter and perhaps their new address if you are really worried. But I would keep the old form with the earlier date otherwise it might look bad....

Omg me too!! I printed mine out on the 23rd all over again....and then gave them out to all three of my referees like only this afternoon......so the soonest they'll be able to send them out is tomorrow! which i really pray they do! Do you think that's enough time to reach guelph by wednesday?? that's like 4 business days....

i wish i didn't reprint.....they're gonna see my print date and be like why didn't this person give their referees more time!!!!!

I printed all mine again on Sept 23 and gave them to my referees..they havent mailed it out yet, probably will on Friday or next Monday. Do you think this will look bad if it arrives late??

• 2 weeks later...
Yea its the same with mine...2 of them are blank and the third one says "currently outstanding" what does that even mean?

That was happening to me yesterday, the blank one turned into "received"... that one was sent like a month ago. The other two still say currently outstanding, but I know at least one is definitely in right now.

yea 2 of them turned received for me today but weirdly enough the one reference letter i sent like a month ago is still outstanding lol

same with me lol... i have one that was sent a month ago and it still says currently outstanding ahhh stress

Archived