Premed 101 Forums

Poll: What's your top choice Ontario med school?

Guest Ian Wong

Poll: What's your top choice Ontario med school?  

1. 1. Poll: What's your top choice Ontario med school?

• McMaster University
    • University of Ottawa
    • University of Western Ontario
    • University of Toronto
    • Queens University

Guest Ian Wong

Here's a new poll for 2003, same as last year's poll. This time, let's only have people who are not yet in med school vote in this poll: ie. if you're a moderator, don't vote! Let's see which school(s) come out on top. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest MayFlower1

Well,

OK, I'll be the first to answer this thread since I asked for it! I received my invitation to UofO for an interview this year...this is my first choice for a medical school.

Good luck all!

Peter

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey Mayflower (Pete):

Congratulations pal. I was rooting for you. Kick some !@# at the interview!

As for me, to be consistent with the parameters of this thread, I only applied to Mac and hence that will be my only choice (invitations/rejections arrive in approx. 1 month)! According to the poll as of today competition looks fierce for Mac; what a change from previous year!

I applied to U of T, Mac, Queen's and Western .... but U of T is far and away my first choice :)

Well, today anyways ... six months ago I thought Mac all the way, and first semester I was really thrilled about Queen's.... :b

Good luck to everyone!!

Guest Biochem10

I applied to Mac, McGill and U of T. U of T is my number one choice (funny, how things were so different when I was applying to undergrad!) They're all great schools, so I would be happy to go to any of them!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chieka101

PURPLE AND PROUD ALL THE WAY!!!!

Did my undergrad at UWO, love the place - hope I'll be favoured with another four years!

(MAC, formely first choice, is now a very, very, close second) :P

C.

• 2 months later...
Guest Nadz227

Figure I better make sure my top choice (Queens all the way) doesn`t get left out in the cold! To be honest though, it was my interview experience that totally sold me on Queens...though I`m not sure anymore how my actual interview went :\ , the 2006 med students were incredibly welcoming and did an awesome job on selling their school (thanks again :D ). Western also seemed like a great school with lots of school spirit, so it`s a close second :D

Nadz

Guest TimmyMax

Yeah, I don't get it either. Most people probably already voted before they came to our interview weekends. Anyway, it doesn't matter. To quote the slogan of the infamous Meds 2006 Flaming Tortoises Haase Race team, "last at the line, first in your...", uh...maybe I'd better not complete that last part there. ;)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, really it's no skin of our back. Heck, if nobody decides to come to UWO next year it just means the 2007 boatrace team will be pretty weak. . . meaning 2005 can win the title for a 3rd straight year. :)

Guest TimmyMax

3rd straight year? I thought that it would only be your 2nd straight year with the title- the 3rd years all said that they beat you guys back at Fanshawe in October of 2001.

Actually, it will really only be one year since the 2006 class will totally ice you guys come September.

Guest UWOMED2005

They cheated. . . you can't win a boatrace if you poured all the beer behind you shoulder, or drank half of it before their turn. Therefore, we won by default.

At least you guys know how to pour your beer down your throat, albeit slowly. 3 straight it is.

Guest ekimike

I'm originally from Hamilton and did my undergraduate degree at McMaster and my graduate degree at Toronto. I interviewed at both MAC and Toronto, and despite being in my home town, being one year shorter in duration and significantly cheaper, MAC does not even compare to Toronto for me. I'm in at Calgary already, but UofT is my number one choice.

-ekimike

Guest gfunk

This year I applied to McMaster University and the university of Ottawa. I didn't get an interview at either. I think that in reality with that many applicants they really need to have some form of pre-requisites in order to "weed out" students. I'd defintely go to Mac just because of it's great reputation for PBL, but Ottawa is close to home so I'd love to get the opportunity one day to go there.

• 4 months later...
Guest frankie

I won't be applying until 2005; however, so far, my first choice is Queen's. I'll also be applying to Western and NOMS (provided I meet the admissions criteria, once it is announced). Of course, I'll be happy to get in at any of these schools!!

Best wishes to everyone working on your 2004 applications!

Frankie :-)

• 5 months later...
Guest byjude

Wow.. right now looking at the poll, UWO is at the bottom. That's quite odd - they tend to be at the top. And Queen's, consistently the lowest first choice pick in previous months is beating it out now. Maybe this is in light of their interview salesmanship? :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mdhopeful23

Ottawa. It blew me away..the city, the resources, the support. I didn't go there expecting alot, it was a pleasant suprise.

Very, very, close second (still wavers as my first choice) is Western. Very friendly atmosphere, nice blend of rural/urban living. A little too clique tho? I sensed an undertone of that at the interview weekend. :rolleyes

Mac is down a bit on the list. Would still be extremely happy to go there. Didn't enjoy the MMI's, turned me off a bit. But just a bit...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there mdhopeful23,

Ottawa. It blew me away..the city, the resources, the support. I didn't go there expecting alot, it was a pleasant suprise.
I agree with you completely. The Ottawa approach is quite amazing.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived