Premed 101 Forums

Confused

I turned 26 this October 1st. I messed up my first year of university because I was working more than 30 hours and was not able to priorities /manage my time. I plan to transfer to Seneca /York U in a bio tech program to end up with a 3 year BSc degree. Do you think I’m too old for this game? If I focus now, I think I can manage to complete the program by 28 + and hope to get in at 29. How can one tell if a dream is nothing more than a fantasy? I want this more than anything but I am afraid of failure and ending up 30, degree less and aim less. I’m messed up today

:confused:

Hi Sub Zero!

What I would suggest you to do is study in what you would consider the next best thing to Medicine for you. Choose a program that you like in a field that you are passionate about (not just what you think med school would like seeing on an application). You can even work a couple of years while applying to med school, so not all is lost.

I myself applied to med school for the first time in 2006 after completing my undergrad and was refused. I then started another undergrad and a certificate in two different schools. I am applying again this year with two undergrads and a certificate. If this year turns out not being my year, I will start a Masters and will enjoy studying in that just as much. After my Masters, I will try again (if no success, I will do a Doctorate) ... and so on.

As for your age, I find you very young, being 24 years old myself. Some students apply at 50 years old and older. Age should not be an issue (and I actually think it will be an advantage for you).

Age is just a number. I was in my early 30s when I matriculated.

On the other hand, someday you'll be 80 years old. When you look back at your life, you don't want to be going "shoulda, coulda, woulda..."

True words ploughboy! I am just applying and I am 30. Medicine is my first choice, but if I fail, at least I can say I tried! Live with no regrets! (or at least try your best).

hi, i will be 'over 30' in my first year of med school, well, here's hoping anyway! i have a sloppy first degree, followed by a diploma in a health profession which i excelled in, topped off by a 2nd degree with a good gpa. i would suggest really focussing on a program you will excel in and can use toward employment, but which could also be a foundation for med school. and not necessarily science based. but be sure to round out with EC's and experience in health care, whether paid or volunteer.

good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree with the posts so far. I'm 27 and just applying for the first time to med - took lots of time in between high school and university, had great "life" experiences. If med is truly what you want, then go for it, whether that be now or 10 years from now!

Archived