Premed 101 Forums

Chances for IP

i am posting for a friend who is a NS resident.

Stats:

cGPA: 3.6 (OMSAS) - however his third year was not so hot 3.24

MCAT: 36Q 14/10/12

EC: strong with lots of sports, volunteer and some research

Dal has listed a criteria about a 3.3 in the last two years and he is wondering if they forgive this for a strong MCAT.

thanks

GPA is on the low side, but that MCAT should help - a mere 34 would still give the maximum score for admissions. I guess it will come down more to the interview and essays - otherwise I'd guess a "good chance" but not a "sure thing". As near as I can tell, the Maritime GPA requirement is only really relevant to the interview.

uhhh correct me if i'm wrong but...you must meet the cutoff. thats why it's a cutoff and not a suggestion. if your friend doesnt have at least 3.3 in the last 2 years ...then my understanding is that you don't make the cutoff. a 45T mcat wouldnt make up for that.

how can you make it to the interview stage if you dont meet the minimum gpa requirements?

if your friend is applying after completing a 4 year degree (i.e. not in his/her 4th year right now) then dal will look at the best 3/4 years. the 3.24 in 3rd year would not be looked at and he/she will still have a chance, assuming the other years meet the minimum requirements.

uhhh correct me if i'm wrong but...you must meet the cutoff. thats why it's a cutoff and not a suggestion. if your friend doesnt have at least 3.3 in the last 2 years ...then my understanding is that you don't make the cutoff. a 45T mcat wouldnt make up for that.

how can you make it to the interview stage if you dont meet the minimum gpa requirements?

if your friend is applying after completing a 4 year degree (i.e. not in his/her 4th year right now) then dal will look at the best 3/4 years. the 3.24 in 3rd year would not be looked at and he/she will still have a chance, assuming the other years meet the minimum requirements.

As Homer says: "d'oh!".

Oh, yes, I see - I was thinking that only a CGPA of 3.3 was required as a minimum (but not a guarantee) for an interview. My brain functions only for anatomy and histo at the moment.

good luck! it was a fair exam but the first one is always a bit scary! :) im sure you'll do great!

• 2 weeks later...

They've made exceptions to their own cutoffs before, according to friends in med school at Dal. It's extremely rare and you need a very good reason.

There's a space on the application for "additional information to consider" and there you explain why you need them to look at your application differently. You'll really have sell this.

Ex. If your 3rd year GPA was below 3.3. You could explain why (illness/family problems...etc.). Then explain that your high MCAT and 4th year are a better reflections of your academic skills.

Also remember you're competing with others, so you'd probably have to wow them in some other area (supplemental/interview) were others may be lacking. Because everyone else will have a 3rd year GPA over 3.3.

It's not the norm, and you shouldn't count on it but I wanted to make it clear that they have made rare exceptions to their rules, if they felt you were more worthy than other candidates for other reasons.

Archived