Premed 101 Forums

2012 Stats posted

Yeah, they're definitely different. Last year's average age was 23, and it's 24 this year. As far as the competition goes, I expect that there may be a very very slight decrease in the numbers this coming year, if only because the double cohort of Ontario in 2003 may have petered out a bit. Those that haven't gotten in/given up should be in the middle of a master's degree.

Regardless, I would be incredibly surprised if the MCAT average for the graduating class of 2013 is below a 29, and if the GPA is below a 3.7. After all, this is med school we're talking about, and only about 15% of applicants are accepted each year, so high standards will continue to be the only sure thing about the application process.

Actually, I think last years average age was 25, rather than 23 like you suggest. Can anybody confirm (or refute) that?

I agree that the application numbers could decrease this year due to the cohort business, but unfortunately I suspect most of those people would affect the oop bracket. Of course, coming from NS myself, I hope I am wrong!

I'd be surprised if the GPA even dropped below 3.8. It seems like most schools are getting a large amount of applications with extremely high GPA's and it is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate candidates based on numbers. Judging from the past 2 years statistics, I'd imagine the average gpa and mcat will be 3.8 and 30, respectively.

Even though the average is 3.8, Dal understands that GPA isn't everything.

I have a few med student friends at Dalhousie, and they said every year a few people get in with a 3.3 GPA. Not many, but a few. It is because these applicants had an outstanding interview/supplemental, and was probably more mature and had more experience.

In fact, I heard one of their most successful residents had a 3.3 GPA.

Lastly, I heard your interview is worth more than your GPA & MCAT combined.

I think Zombiegirl is dead on. Any canadian med school could probably fill a large tub with applicants who have gpa's over 3.9. Dal (fortunately) recognizes the variation in programs that are available these days, as well as their respective difficulties.

I believe they have even increased the value of the interview this year. Rightfully so. Personally, I believe gpa's are almost useless when looking cross-program, especially at relatively high marks.

-jpc43

Archived