Premed 101 Forums

out of province university wanting to go into UBC med

I'm wondering... I've lived in BC for the majority of my life but I want to go to waterloo to complete the pre-req's and everything but is it still possible for me to get a fair shot at UBC med? I could only find this site in UBC that tells the pre-req that we need to be considered for BC universities but I don't know the equilevant of them to courses in Waterloo???

I'm wondering... I've lived in BC for the majority of my life but I want to go to waterloo to complete the pre-req's and everything but is it still possible for me to get a fair shot at UBC med? I could only find this site in UBC that tells the pre-req that we need to be considered for BC universities but I don't know the equilevant of them to courses in Waterloo???

Not sure whether your question is about being considered in-province, or whether you're asking about pre-reqs...

1) If you meet the BC residency requirements, which I suspect you do, you should be fine:

http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/BC_Residency_Requirements.htm

2) As for UBC pre-reqs at UW, you should be able to tell from the course descriptions whether they're roughly equivalent to the same courses at UBC. http://www.ucalendar.uwaterloo.ca/COURSE/index.html

I didn't actually look at the UBC course descriptions, but I did go to UW so here's my best guess at what they'll want:

Biology - Biol 130, 130L, 140 and 140L should be fine. I also enjoyed Biol 139 (genetics), but was about the only person in my class who did. That's kind of an instructor-dependent thing

Gen Chem - Chem 120, 120L, 123, 123L. Go to Bisonette's sections.

OChem - Chem 266, 266L, 267, 267L (unless you're a chem major, then you'll take 264/265)

Biochem - Chem 237, 237L and, uh I dunno. I only took a half-course in biochem, but there'll be something in the course catalog that should satisfy UBC.

English - probably any two of the english 100s will do, but compare UW's catalog with UBC's catalog and find two that sound similar to the UBC courses.

• 1 month later...

Archived