Premed 101 Forums

Question about Second Degree?

The low percentage of those entering with a second degree is scary as well, but I guess many wouldn't even know about this site.

I believe this would change if the reason you're getting a second degree is because your first degree was from a foreign university. Wouldn't it?

I would say it's because the necessity of a 2nd degree is rare compared to a special year/5 year grad.

For some, a 2nd degree could make more sense than a 5th year. I'm thinking about those that are doing professional 2nd degrees (i.e., nursing, eng, etc).

It is rare, but they both serve the same purpose. For some one year at a 4.0 is not enough to materially change your application. Therefore, you would require a new degree.

Has anyone applied and been accepted with a second 3-4 year degree on these forums? I only came across about two people.

I would say it's because the necessity of a 2nd degree is rare compared to a special year/5 year grad.

It is rare, but they both serve the same purpose. For some one year at a 4.0 is not enough to materially change your application. Therefore, you would require a new degree.

I'm not quite sure where in my post I implied otherwise.

You certainly did not imply otherwise in your post.. However, what your post did say was to me at least, common sense. I believe most are well aware the need for a second degree, which would consume 3-4 years vs. one additional special year is rare.

The original poster and others replying seem primarily interested in the second degree route and probability of acceptance as it is more rare as you mentioned on these forums. My apologies if my reply to your post did not read as intended.

Cheers

I believe the reason most are getting a second degree (undergrad degree) is to improve their GPA.. not sure how effective it is as there are few who have gone the second degree route with acceptances from what I've seen on these forums.

You were claiming that it may be ineffective because few have acceptances with second degrees.

I simply stated the sample size was small.

Regardless, this is boring me. Good luck to the OP.

Lol I hope to be able to post as a second degree'er who got in on May 15th. Fingers crossed though.

but there could be plenty of reasons.

Maybe people who went for 2nd degrees were disillusioned that they could change their gpa around that much....

Maybe the financial/time commitment involved makes the amount of people doing a second undergrad very limited because few people have that kind of flexibility.....

Either way, there will be very few people doing it, even fewer of those people that come posting on these boards, compounded with the fact that there is about a 10% chance of gaining acceptance after applying in Ontario.... it becomes quite easy to see that it's not too strange that there aren't plenty of people here talking about getting in with a second degree...

There are a few though.

Lol I hope to be able to post as a second degree'er who got in on May 15th. Fingers crossed though.

Maybe people who went for 2nd degrees were disillusioned that they could change their gpa around that much....

Maybe the financial/time commitment involved makes the amount of people doing a second undergrad very limited because few people have that kind of flexibility.....

Either way, there will be very few people doing it, even fewer of those people that come posting on these boards, compounded with the fact that there is about a 10% chance of gaining acceptance after applying in Ontario.... it becomes quite easy to see that it's not too strange that there aren't plenty of people here talking about getting in with a second degree...

There are a few though.

I think I am doing what is called hijacking a thread :P

Well, that's certainly my plan now; to get in with a second degree. During my first degree I did well in most of my courses but got really bad grades in a few courses that ended-up just dragging everything else down. I learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses and I have learned from the mistakes I made (letting a relationship get in the way of my studies during my third year was one major mistake). I'm more mature and harder-working now and since medicine is what I want, and I only have one life to do it in, I am going for it. I have met many people, including two of them today, who wanted to be physicians but ended-up getting side-tracked and now, 20 years later, they still wish they had gone into medicine. One of them is a pretty big-time banker who makes way more money than most physicians. He has a great position and enjoys his life. But he lamented to me that he always wanted to be a doctor but that his parents and teachers pushed him otherwise and that when he had the chance to apply to meds while he was in university he didn't because he got married and had children (he was 24). He told me that he regrets all of that. You don't want to be the gal/guy regretting your life or wishing for what might have been. Don't be the guy who sits around saying "would've could've should've"

If I don't get in right-away despite my gpa being sufficient I might continue-on and do graduate work or think about school outside of Canada. Sure there are other things I can do for a living that I enjoy doing. But all of them will leave me wishing I was doing medicine. I've learned that about myself the long and hard way. I know that medicine is for me and so I'm going for it.

Long-story-short: If you can afford the time and money and honestly (after thinking about this seriously) believe that you can increase your gpa sufficiently then I think the 2nd degree option is a good choice, particularly for relatively young people.

END hijack! ;)

I'm curious how grad students would fit into this

Say you finish your MSc and sitll don't get in/interviews, can one theoretically add a special year onto their undergrad? I have a 3.8 in my final year but 3.5 final 2. 4.0 in MSc, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Could I theoretically do a 'special' year of upper level courses, get a 4.0 in it and apply to Queen's/Dal/Calg? I know Western is out, and so is NOSM (not rural and they don't take 2nd degrees if you have a grad degree), and so is Ottawa (don't take 2nd degree if you have grad), and it won't help much for UT or Mac (cgpa is 3.4)

Ugh, If only I could get that extra .2 somewhere without needing to be rural or in-province.

I'm curious how grad students would fit into this

Say you finish your MSc and sitll don't get in/interviews, can one theoretically add a special year onto their undergrad? I have a 3.8 in my final year but 3.5 final 2. 4.0 in MSc, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Could I theoretically do a 'special' year of upper level courses, get a 4.0 in it and apply to Queen's/Dal/Calg? I know Western is out, and so is NOSM (not rural and they don't take 2nd degrees if you have a grad degree), and so is Ottawa (don't take 2nd degree if you have grad), and it won't help much for UT or Mac (cgpa is 3.4)

Ugh, If only I could get that extra .2 somewhere without needing to be rural or in-province.

Why is Western out? AFAIK, Western allows special years (special year is not a 2nd deg).

You should be able to do a year as a non-deg student after your MSc

It is very difficult for sure. I wonder if schools would disclose how many students applied or applied and was acceptance with a second undergrad degree? That would be interesting.

Have you asked this question to the admissions office before Supafield?

There are a few though.

yeah grad courses don't typically count - I guess they feel they are not on the same playing field.

I am reading the western rules from OMSAS:

----------

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized university may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a “special year”), so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. Special years will only be considered if they contain five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) with a minimum of four full or equivalent courses at the honours level (which at Western are numbered 200 or higher). Honours-level courses at Western numbered 200 are equivalent to third-year courses at all other universities. First-year courses are not acceptable in the special year.

----------

Interestingly - no where does it say that year has to be right after the first four? Like HBP I am not sure why you are saying you are excluded :)

Also I am a little unclear as to your stats - last year was 3.8, but are you saying your cGPA is 3.5? Maybe we need a break down by year here to better see what works...

yeah grad courses don't typically count - I guess they feel they are not on the same playing field.

I am reading the western rules from OMSAS:

----------

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized university may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a “special year”), so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. Special years will only be considered if they contain five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) with a minimum of four full or equivalent courses at the honours level (which at Western are numbered 200 or higher). Honours-level courses at Western numbered 200 are equivalent to third-year courses at all other universities. First-year courses are not acceptable in the special year.

----------

Interestingly - no where does it say that year has to be right after the first four? Like HBP I am not sure why you are saying you are excluded :)

Also I am a little unclear as to your stats - last year was 3.8, but are you saying your cGPA is 3.5? Maybe we need a break down by year here to better see what works...

hmmm, interesting

I need to call them and see. I was under the impression that this special year had to be under the pretense of a degree. I hope i'm not excluded now because of my grad degree. I think this may very well be a viable option! Thanks rmorelan!

My approx year-by-year gpa is

1 - 3.0

2 - 3.2

3- 3.3

4 - 3.8

grad gpa - 4.0

CAS,

I think you may be okay to do another year of undergrad. Do call to clarify though. That being said, I am certain I've read posts of people on here that did more undergrad after a grad degree. I can't remember the details, but do a search and maybe you'll find others in your situation?

Good luck!

H

Archived