Premed 101 Forums

Do Canadians need the USMLE's to do US fellowships?

Guest borboleta10

Guest borboleta10

Has anyone out there written USMLE step I?

If so, how long did you study for it?

If I'm writing it so I can do Steps II and III so I can eventually apply for fellowships in the USA (not residency), does it matter how well I do on Step I, or can I just pass it?

any input would be welcomed...

Edited the subject title to make it more descriptive. -Ian

The guys I've been working with here have written the USMLE (I, II and III) for fellowships in Mass. and NY. Apparently they needed it for VISA purposes, and it was only used as flag, and how well you do didn't matter.

This may differ depending on the fellowships you apply for though !

• 1 year later...
Guest Lactic Folly

For those of you who are writing the USMLE exams, does that mean you will be travelling down south to write the Step 2 Clinical Skills exam? Also, how much overlap have you found between the material covered on the USMLEs and that covered by your med school curriculum, seeing as our school is not geared to prepare us for the US exams?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ian Wong

I think the Canadian training in general prepares you pretty well for the US exams, particularly for the more clinically-based Step 2 and Step 3. Step 1 is the one area where I think the US students generally have the advantage, since I think there's a LOT more emphasis in the preparation time on it for the US students (Step 1 scores can be critical in getting you the interviews for many of the competitive specialties), whereas in Canada, USMLE scores don't come into play if you are going after a Canadian residency.

Still, I don't think a single one of my classmates failed their Step 1 exam, and I think the majority of them were at least average in their scores (with pretty minimal prep time). If you are convinced you want a US residency, you too can go nuts on First Aid for the USMLE, BRS Pathology and Physiology, Microbiology made Ridiculously Simple, High Yield Neuroanatomy, and the Kaplan QBank for 4-6 weeks, and have as good a chance as any US med student of hauling down a great Step 1 score.

Ian

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived