Premed 101 Forums

Are there a lot of labs in med school?

Hey, I'm pre-med, but I wanted to get an opinion from someone in med school.

I'm not bad at class work (GPA is 3.65ish, which I can work hard to pull up), but I've always been terrible at chem and physics labs. Are there a lot of labs in med school? Should I give up now or is this something I can improve at?

Thanks.

labs in medicine are quite different from undergrad science labs, so don't worry so much about it.

what is it about chem/physics labs you have trouble with? mine were mostly fill in the blank, or really short answer...

I was always really shy, so I would kind of what for everyone to start and then I'd stay around the back of the pack. Since our write-ups had to be in within the 3 hours limit, I always rushed myself and never really enjoyed it - far too stressful for me. I also don't like doing things without knowing how to do every little step. Add to the fact that my school's in Vancouver and most of the TAs are just off the plane from Hong Kong :P

I was always really shy, so I would kind of what for everyone to start and then I'd stay around the back of the pack. Since our write-ups had to be in within the 3 hours limit, I always rushed myself and never really enjoyed it - far too stressful for me. I also don't like doing things without knowing how to do every little step. Add to the fact that my school's in Vancouver and most of the TAs are just off the plane from Hong Kong :P

omg my TA for my orgo-I lab was such a *****. she always acted like i didn't know what i was doing...i never liked orgo labs but i wasn't awful or anything..but she made me so nervous and i was starting to feel retarded when in second term they gave me the hottest sweetest TA on earth...whenever i had trouble with a small step or smth, he would demonstrate the whole thing while we gazed into each other's eyes..it was so romantic. thanks to him i actually looked forward to the lab and enjoyed it a lot.

anyway, point being that yes, TA's can have an enormous impact on your perception of labs and lab skills :D

oh and did i mention that by second term, the *****y TA had broken her arm and was wearing a cast..which also added to my pleasure. :P

hit the shampoooo AAAAHHAHAHHAHHHAA :eek::D

that is one sexy accent...reminds me of my first-yr general chem lab TA who used to tell us to "take out a sh!t" so we could write down the answers to his quiz questions :P

hahaha my CPR prof was a french dude, and he would always say breathe HHHHair, HHHHair... man one day i started laughing uncontrollably in the class and everybody followed coz it was so obvious why i was laughing. needless to say the guy didnt like me much.

Yeah like the others have said, med school labs are a totally different thing compared to the traditional lab.

We had lots of labs in the first 10 weeks as we were doing anatomy. During this time we pulled about 4hrs a day in the labs dissecting. Now that we are done with that labs are pretty much non-existent.

PS: Those undergrad first and second year chem, physics and bio labs are pretty crappy. It gets better in 3rd and 4th year!

Archived