Premed 101 Forums

The right stuff

it doesn't really matter how much you study, as long as you study for enough time to know your stuff. for some this is longer than others. so...if you are doing well, then continue. if you are not, then maybe increase your time studying or assess whether or not you are making a quality effort to study.

True, don't measure up the effort you need to succeed with others. Set your goals and work as much as you need. Because the game and the lie continue throughout medical school--no one studies in medical school. We're all just brilliant and can spend our time outside of class skiing, golfing, drinking, and building orphanages. Say whatever it takes to look smart, but don't ever admit to studying.

If you really want a serious answer...

During my BSc. I pulled around 35 hours a week on average, not including lectures. This could dramatically drop or increase depending on how close an exam was or how hard the term was... In fourth year I slacked pretty hard, but spent a fair bit of time in the lab and got published and that was fun.

Now that I have completely dissected the human body and moved onto other endeavors my study time in med school is about 20 hours a week. We have the rep of being intense study nuts at UofT... :rolleyes: I think a lot of that rep stems from the insanity of the first 10 weeks of anatomy with their being a small tinge of truth behind it.

In the end how much you study will depend on how well you grasp a subject, how well you memorize stuff and how intrinsically intellegent you are... I am pretty dense. So that is why I log all that time with my face buried in notes. :)

"Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do"...

so DO. doesn't matter if you studied for a week straight or didn't study at all. results are what counts.

before the interview, a DRILL SERGEANT will meet you in the staging area. you will do CALISTHENICS to get warmed up. in the hallway leading to the interview room, there will be BLACK BELTS from five different martial arts, of which you must spar and defeat at least three. you will be required to PICK THE LOCK to the interview room itself using the tools won in your sparring matches. once inside the room, the actual interview scenario will be written in cipher, which you must DECRYPT. the interview panel will consist of people who speak English, French, or Canadian, but not all three, you must be FLUENT in all of the above. when the buzzer sounds to end the station, you must immediately leave the room and ARMY CRAWL to the next room to avoid being hit by the SNIPERS with paintball guns. when you have completed all ten stations, or when 100 minutes have passed (whichever comes first), a PARAMEDIC will come to test your pulse; you must pass this test. finally, you will be asked to fill out an EVALUATION of the interview day; if the adcom feels your evaluation is unsatisfactory, you may be asked to compose a BROADWAY MUSICAL detailing why.

it'll be a fun weekend! good luck!

Once you learn the bare minimum required to pass, the amount of work you put in after that is purely based on your own desire.

For example, I'm probably one of the heavier studiers in my class. But I enjoy doing the work and I like knowing everything I can (within reason). That's not to say I do constant work or anything. There are people in my class who don't do near as much as I do. They learn however much they are comfortable with and then that's it. It's a personal choice.

You need to learn to study for the purpose of learning, not for the purpose of writing an exam.

Though it seems like the two are incongruent, once you realize that they are one of the same, then studying becomes less of a foot dragging activity and, oddly enough, a mildly rewarding endeavour.

You need to learn to study for the purpose of learning, not for the purpose of writing an exam.

Though it seems like the two are incongruent, once you realize that they are one of the same, then studying becomes less of a foot dragging activity and, oddly enough, a mildly rewarding endeavour.

This is so very true. Thank you for adding this point.

uhhh well i think your first mistake is asking people what they did. everyone is different. and if you think you neeed to study a lot (which, by the way, i totally didnt...you need to have a life) you shouldnt be on these forums.

Oh, come on. We ALL need to study a lot to do well. Marks are a priority--low marks will ensure that you have NO chance at med. If you can get 3.8-4.0 without studying much, you either go to some ultra-easy university that shouldnt exist in Canada, or you have an extremely rare photographic memory condition.

Oh, come on. We ALL need to study a lot to do well. Marks are a priority--low marks will ensure that you have NO chance at med. If you can get 3.8-4.0 without studying much, you either go to some ultra-easy university that shouldnt exist in Canada, or you have an extremely rare photographic memory condition.

If that is what you think, you have no idea how rudimentary most universities are. You have no idea regarding the extent of human intelligence. You have no idea how many people surpass your intellegence and drive. There are many individuals that dont need to study a lot to do well in university. In fact, I thought university was easier than high school - less assignments, no teachers bothering you, etc. Don't think that you are aware of everyone's ability - worry about yourself and how much you need to work to accomplish the goals that you want to accomplish.

Something I was taught at a very young age by my parents was that, "There will always be someone smarter than the smartest person you know, and there will be always someone who works harder than the hardest worker you know. At the end of the day, the only question you should be concerned with is whether or not you have done your very best".

Archived