Premed 101 Forums

This waiting = painful

Does anyone else find it almost impossible to get work done in the final year of undergrad, due to the constant frustration of not knowing your med-school status? Its infuriating to have no knowledge of where I will be next year! For example, how do you know how much effort to put into grad school apps. when you might not even need them?

Does anyone else find it almost impossible to get work done in the final year of undergrad, due to the constant frustration of not knowing your med-school status? Its infuriating to have no knowledge of where I will be next year! For example, how do you know how much effort to put into grad school apps. when you might not even need them?

Take it frm me as a guy who is going through what you are going through and ended up not making it.

Live your life. Go out there and force yourself to realize that Med school is not the be all end all. The mentality you have right now is setting you up a not so hot interview outcome.

We all know what it is like to wait and be uncertain of our future. This is my second time applying as well. Most people (myself included) have, at least at some point, made themselves believe that medicine the ONLY career that will make them happy.

Do yourself a favour and start looking into other careers as well as medicine; you might find something that intrigues you. There are many health professions now that are performing the traditional roles that doctors once performed (Doc's don't like this). ie Nurse Practitioners, Physio's etc. These are examples of professions that are undergoing rapid growth in scope of practice.

After four agonizing years of obsessively focusing on medicine, I have found that I am gaining an interest in a different area. Keep an open mind and seek alternatives. You'll feel more at peace.

My problem is what to do if I dont get in. Do I go to a grad program that Im pretty apathetic about, and then apply in 2 years? Do I work for a year? Do I just say "**** it" and apply to law school, which is an OK job too and that I will actually get into? Its just, all this "what do I do next year" trouble would be solved if I just got in.

Whats really annoying as well is that I wasnt on obcessed premed until the last 6 months or so (although Ive always wanted to do med). I also realize how pointless it is to worry so much, but how do you not?

You seem more interested in going to Law School than doing a Masters. Why not start Law School and apply to Medicine again while you are in it?

I chose a Masters that I love for next year, and if Medicine doesn't work out for me this year ... I am looking forward to starting the Masters! :) Either way, next year will be exciting!

My problem is what to do if I dont get in. Do I go to a grad program that Im pretty apathetic about, and then apply in 2 years?

I think that would be a terrible idea, especially for a research-based masters. It's not like an undergrad degree, you need to love it much much more to avoid being completely miserable. If you don't think you'll enjoy doing a masters, my advice is for you to find something you think you will enjoy, wether or not you choose to reapply. Really. It will be much more helpfull. Doing a research based masters just to get into medical school, without a significant interest in research, in my opinion will 1) make you completely miserable for potentially more than 2 yrs and 2) be useless, or close to it, in terms of getting you into medical school.

You can find more info on this by looking at previous treads. If you're thinking about a course-based masters, than it's probably not as bad, although I still wouldn't advise it.

I think that would be a terrible idea, especially for a research-based masters. It's not like an undergrad degree, you need to love it much much more to avoid being completely miserable. If you don't think you'll enjoy doing a masters, my advice is for you to find something you think you will enjoy, wether or not you choose to reapply. Really. It will be much more helpfull. Doing a research based masters just to get into medical school, without a significant interest in research, in my opinion will 1) make you completely miserable for potentially more than 2 yrs and 2) be useless, or close to it, in terms of getting you into medical school.

You can find more info on this by looking at previous treads. If you're thinking about a course-based masters, than it's probably not as bad, although I still wouldn't advise it.

I'm all for this. If you don't feel dedicated to a research based masters, I wouldn't even bother. You will likely not perform as well as you could.

Have you considered MSc programs in public health?

Take it frm me as a guy who is going through what you are going through and ended up not making it.

Live your life. Go out there and force yourself to realize that Med school is not the be all end all. The mentality you have right now is setting you up a not so hot interview outcome.

I second this. Just don't think about it. Have fun and enjoy your life, hope for the best, and if good things come... they do. If not, don't be too dissapointed, but just be aware that you might be in this cycle for longer than you want to be! :P

also, keep in mind that most people are in the cycle for more than an a single year. if you really want it, and work hard, there is no reason why you would not eventually achieve your goals.

Reminds me, I just went to see my family doc who said he knows someone who just got into med school after 9 tries! Please God don't let that be me. :P

Reminds me, I just went to see my family doc who said he knows someone who just got into med school after 9 tries! Please God don't let that be me. :P

They probably felt bad because he/she spend probably close to 6 grand on applications haha.

Kudos to that person. I guess 9th times the charm. :o

I'd definitely give up well in advance of 9 times. I'd probably throw in the towel after about 4 tries.

Sometimes applying year after year without improving your application is kinda pointless. If you land no interviews, you have to seriously consider doing something worthwhile for a couple of years before applying again.

Holy crap.. 9 times? This is my third and i'm seriously considering alternatives at this point if I don't get in. I was just rejected by Calgary (missed the cut by 5 points!) and since schools like Queens and Western don't take graduate school productivity above undergraduate GPA I'm guessing my only chances are Ottawa and U of T.. Mac is such a shot in the dark no matter what your CV is.

I'm thinking maybe the military or something like that. I just don't want to be behind a desk interacting with computers and paper for my career. Obviously my dream would be to be working with people in the medical industry, but if the gatekeepers keep saying no, there isn't much you can do.

Yeah I'm a little afraid of being rejected a couple of times. I think I'll have a really hard time deciding when to throw in the towel since I'm already 25 and getting another career path worked out will put me at 40. :P I suspect I'll be the loser who keeps thinking that "this year is THE year". :D

Archived