Premed 101 Forums

UBC Praise

Commuting is tough - there aren't enough buses to keep up with the number of commuters relying on transit. Renting here will definitely burn a hole through your bank account...I live in Point Grey, about a 10-15 min bus ride to/from campus, and while getting to sleep in a little more is nice, the rent payments are depressing! I'm already feeling the pinch and it's not even December yet. :eek:

In my opinion the Kits/Point Grey area is quite nice - people are friendly, there are a lot of students around, and your groceries are usually less than a block away (but so expensive). The downside is things can get boring. Commercial Drive is usually where all the fun is at!

Are you thinking of moving here?

I thought Vancouver has one of the best mass public transit systems in Canada... what's difficult about getting around Vancouver?

The city and surrounding suburbs are too big and spread out and the highways suck. Getting around by bus unless your on a Skytrain or B-line is an ordeal. Everybody is busy and in a rush. Traffic is brutal 12 hours of the day.

I complain cause I lived there for 20 years. I know it's similar in Toronto etc.

I'm not saying it isn't a bomb city...but it has major transport problems.

The city and surrounding suburbs are too big and spread out and the highways suck. Getting around by bus unless your on a Skytrain or B-line is an ordeal. Everybody is busy and in a rush. Traffic is brutal 12 hours of the day.

I complain cause I lived there for 20 years. I know it's similar in Toronto etc.

I'm not saying it isn't a bomb city...but it has major transport problems.

I gotta agree with AndrewB. Transportation licks. Living next to a Bline or skytrain spot helps a bit, but traffic just doesn't flow well at all so don't think your own car will improve things much (it does if you live way out in the suburbs, but its still an ordeal no matter where you are if you want to go across town)

Commuting is tough - there aren't enough buses to keep up with the number of commuters relying on transit. Renting here will definitely burn a hole through your bank account...I live in Point Grey, about a 10-15 min bus ride to/from campus, and while getting to sleep in a little more is nice, the rent payments are depressing! I'm already feeling the pinch and it's not even December yet. :eek:

In my opinion the Kits/Point Grey area is quite nice - people are friendly, there are a lot of students around, and your groceries are usually less than a block away (but so expensive). The downside is things can get boring. Commercial Drive is usually where all the fun is at!

Are you thinking of moving here?

what kinda fun are we talking about? have i been missing smth? :confused::P

I gotta agree with AndrewB. Transportation licks. Living next to a Bline or skytrain spot helps a bit, but traffic just doesn't flow well at all so don't think your own car will improve things much (it does if you live way out in the suburbs, but its still an ordeal no matter where you are if you want to go across town)

Is it worse than Toronto?

thami. I don't have any friends in Van either (supposedly people say I'm a jerk?). If you like, we can go for a walk in the rain sometime, but I don't have a dog to take along. Do you? I'm totally pro at making small talk. :)

I wish I owned a furburgler...but it's Kits, we can always RENT one :)

Are you new in Van? I am totally homegrown...

ummm two years here. the rest of the time it was me being island trash (Victoria). And kits? errrr, I'm more of a snobby point grey kind of a guy. But we can still be friends if you want, I guess, I just wont tell anyone. So wait, you are homegrown, as in vancouver? but you don't have any friends "yet"?

ummm two years here. the rest of the time it was me being island trash (Victoria). And kits? errrr, I'm more of a snobby point grey kind of a guy. But we can still be friends if you want, I guess, I just wont tell anyone. So wait, you are homegrown, as in vancouver? but you don't have any friends "yet"?

i just moved to point grey (i thought it was the same as kits?) in July, away from friends and family who are about an hour away in a different neighborhood. baroo...:( i've been kind of a hermit, just going to campus for work and school, then going home.

so what's the difference between point grey and kits? i suppose i should figure out where i live :P

i just moved to point grey (i thought it was the same as kits?) in July, away from friends and family who are about an hour away in a different neighborhood. baroo...:( i've been kind of a hermit, just going to campus for work and school, then going home.

so what's the difference between point grey and kits? i suppose i should figure out where i live :P

Nah, they are basically the same. Point grey I think starts west of Alma and goes up until Blanca. You work up at UBC? what do you do?

Archived