Premed 101 Forums

UBC Praise

I am currently in 4th year of UBC medicine.

What do you want to know really about the program?

I'd like to get your general impression on your UBC medical school experience... is there anything that stands out about your program/city? What sorts of things would you tell a student trying to decide between say, UBC and UofT?

Hi,

I cannot say much about U of T because I have never studied there.

As for UBC, the advantage is that most of the preceptors are good (for both clinical and pre-clinical), or I may be just lucky so far.

I think UBC prepares the students well in the first 2 years for the clinical years. In the clinical years, there are lots of exposure to bedside medicine in all rotations. There are always doctors who care about our learning.

The number of people per class is quite huge though, and it can take you 2 years before u know everyone's name in the class. That may be a drawback.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I cannot say much about U of T because I have never studied there.

As for UBC, the advantage is that most of the preceptors are good (for both clinical and pre-clinical), or I may be just lucky so far.

You're probably right, but there were 3 MDs who got reprimanded by the CPSBC last year for giving tremendously poor quality of training to their med students. I'm sure that was just a couple of bad apples which are unavoidable wherever you go.

OP,

Can't speak for the medical school (haven't had the priviledge of starting my training anywhere yet) but I can speak for the town.

- The transit isn't too bad as long as you are in the core / are next to a Skytrain or B-Line and want to go somewhere that's in one of those three classifications. Being from Calgary the capacity and utilization of transit still blows my mind after 3.5 years of calling Van home. That said when 2 B-Lines pass me by I begin to doubt...

- The food is amazing. As with many / most large metro. cities there are plenty of good joints and few are chains. Hurts the already crippled wallet though.

- Summer is beautiful. For this reason alone I would stay in Vancouver. It is really something to experience.

- UBC campus is stunning, has everything you need, and still manages to feel 'home-y'

- Downside is definitely the rain. I hate the rain. I hate not seeing the sun for weeks on end more. It's the inevitable Canadian battle between mild and wet vs. cold and sunny...

All-in-all a pretty cool place to call home. Not sure if it's where I'll end up staying long term but a hell of a place to get an education.

I'd like to get your general impression on your UBC medical school experience... is there anything that stands out about your program/city? What sorts of things would you tell a student trying to decide between say, UBC and UofT?

You are going to want to strongly consider the schedule and how teaching is done. From what I understand you spend way more time in lectures at UoT than you do at UBC. While PBL is kindof crappy, I'd take it any day over sitting in lectures for an additional 2 hours every day.

Archived