Premed 101 Forums

Finding (relevant) summer research

Guest Stylo

Guest Stylo

For you veteran medical students out there, how do you find relevant research experiences (and possibly publication credentials) in a particular area of medical specialty (ex. cardiology, urology) during the summer? Do you simply go around and ask? Are there any good ways to go about this? Also, when is the best time to initiate one's search for positions?

Thanks!

• 8 months later...
Guest physiology

Try and make an appointment with the director of some department or division. They're almost always MDs that dabble in a little of everything...research, teaching, and clinical stuff.

Talk about your research interests and that way, they can push you into the right direction. These guys usually have tonnes of connections. Don't approach individual researchers.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Praeludium

Go to university websites, look up researchers in the area. Email email email. Don't do a slack-a$$ job, but if you seriously put effort into your cover letters, make sure to mention specific details about the research you're applying for, you'll get replies.

That's how I've found all my research jobs (4 of them in total). All cold emails. Just blow them away with your cover letter.

The formula is so easy! I just don't know why people don't do it more. (actually, I do know why -- often they're lazy).

:)

• 3 years later...

Archived