Premed 101 Forums

McGill Interview

Hey folks,

Here is some general info...

- Interview is about 30 mins

- Read over your auto. letter and be prepared to expand on anything you mentioned, practice answering questions like "why dent", "why McGill", "why not medicine" (Careful with that one! Dents and Meds are in the same classes for about 2 years, so they want to be sure you're not going to try to switch programs!).

- Perhaps consider doing a mock interview at your school at the Career Resource Center with someone qualified to give you good feedback on your performance.

- You may be asked something like "what is the biggest problem/issue in dentistry today" or some broad open-ended question like that. I do not believe you will not have to know specifics about procedures or instruments.

- The format is not CDA based, but practice answering the CDA type questions because you will likely be asked some similar ones!

- I think your chances are great! If you got an interview, you're in the running! They told us in a presentation last year that ~350 apply, ~60 are granted interviews and ~7-10 are accepted.

- Prepare well for the interview because it's the only section you really have to increase your chances at this point!

- DEFINITELY attend the informal student get-together! (Some of the dental students there could be on your interview panel the next day!) You can get a better idea about the questions they ask, you'll have a chance to ask about the school to see if you'll like it there, ask about their student-lifestyle, etc.

- There will be food, desserts, juice, water and coffee all day on interview day! Yum! (The hospitality at McGill is second to none!)

- The interview is really relaxed, there are three people on each panel (2 dentists/faculty and one student)

I know how nerve wracking it is, but don't stress out! All your practicing will pay off! Keep your cool, be yourself and answer each question thoroughly.

Good luck everyone!!!

M

Here are the questions I was asked last year, notice they are completely opposite of CDA standardized questions...

-Tell me about yourself

-Why dentistry

-Why McGill --> Why Montreal

-What type of book/play/poem do you enjoy or have you read recently --> why did you

it

-What do you do in your spare time other than what we have read in you essay

-Where do you see yourself in 10 years

-What if you don't get in this year

-Are you competitive --> how are you competitive --> what do you do about it --> how

do

you handle competitiveness

-What qualities do you have that will help you as a dentist

- and any that may hurt you

-What major surgery have you seen that stands out in your mind and why --> how do

you

deal with stressful situations

-What do you think will be stressful about dentistry

-Questions for us

Also here are some more questions that were asked in 2007:

Hey,

This is for all the people interested in applying to McGill. Yesturday all of the out of province interviews were carried out - there were approximately 50-60 interviewees which were each interviewed by a panel of 3 interviewers - a student, a faculty member and a practicing dentist (who may or may not be an instructor).

The night before the interview there was a dinner put on by the McGill dental students society where all of the interviewees were invited and most showed. There were a number of dental students from all years who provided lots of information including one who gave insight on how the top 10 applicants were ranked from the out of province pool. This 4th year student who was also one of the interviewers said that there are 10 groups of 3 interviewers who interview 5-6 of the applicants. These applicants are then ranked 1-5(or 6) and basically the top interviewee from each group will be accepted into the program. He said something about how this method is not the best but it works for McGill and that the top applicant maybe not always get the first round acceptance but it is generally the case.

As for my personal interview - it lasted 25 mins then I was asked if I had any questions. The interview felt like it started and then it was finished in no time - it was crazy how fast it felt. I made up a litst of all of the questions i was asked - and I was asked a lot - either I gave clear concise answers or I didn't put enough meat in my answers. I really don't know; however the admissions people said that results should be out within 3-4 weeks. Anyways my questions were as followed:

- tell me about yourself

- why dentistry

- ethical – student cancels morning clinic because of exam that afternoon…calls patient and says that there is no instructor available to aid at the clinic – comment on what you think

- parlez-vous francais?

- Would you be comfortable with treating a French speaking patient?

- What do you fear most about getting into dentistry?

- References said you were a funny guy – tell us a joke.

- What do you do outside of school?

- You talked about repetition in dentistry – what will you do if you end up getting bored with what you are doing?

- You talked about sports – indicate your role as an individual and as a team player.

- Explain the concept self regulation as it pertains to dentistry.

- Do you have any questions for us?

- After all the questions I asked, they asked - Do you think you are one of the top applicants?

Overall it was pretty relaxed; however I didn't find it to be as much of a conversation as everyone said it was but that could've been me or the interviewers.

Words of advice - be confident, be yourself and doing some practice interviews.

- Read over your auto. letter and be prepared to expand on anything you mentioned, practice answering questions like "why dent", "why McGill", "why not medicine" (Careful with that one! Dents and Meds are in the same classes for about 2 years, so they want to be sure you're not going to try to switch programs!).

Whoa, really? I never knew it was possible to switch from dent to med, is that just with mcgill or other schools too? And how does it work, i mean wouldnt u need to write the mcat etc.? :S

Whoa, really? I never knew it was possible to switch from dent to med, is that just with mcgill or other schools too? And how does it work, i mean wouldnt u need to write the mcat etc.? :S

I don't really think it's allowed, they seemed to really frown upon the idea of it. Perhaps someone from McGill could confirm this though.

Archived