Premed 101 Forums

New Urology program?

I just got an email stating that:

"The following program is now available to apply to:

· University of Saskatchewan/ General Surgery Alberta - Urology"

Anybody heard about this? I think it is a urology program in Sask, but I don't know the details. If anyone could fill me in that would be swell.

That's excellent news if its true. There were never enough urology spots in the country. Someone applying for uro this year just caught a huge break.

Dal-MUN just added a urology position this year too. The NL govt has funded a urology spot at Dal for 1 MUN grad a year. It's 5 years at Dal, completely under their program (no 2 years one spot, 3 the other).

Back in the 1980's, I believe there was a 2yr MUN-3yr Queen's program for Queen's-MUN, but it was discontinued.

It seems Saskatchewan is doing this for many programs: Urology, Nuclear Medicine, Dermatology, and Plastic Surgery.

This is great news for those applying to those fields, since those fields are dastardly competitive, and any extra spot helps.

However, the one caveat, and its a BIG one, is that applicants have to sign a return-of-service agreement to practice in Saskatchewan for five years. For those with ties to other provinces, or for those who just don't want to live in Saskatchewan any longer than they have to, these spots aren't the most ideal.

Which brings me to my question: has anyone ever heard of a resident getting out of a return-of-service agreement? I'm sure it has something to do with paying the province back monetarily. Of course, where would a resident get such money?

ROS agreements aren't too bad if you are getting a field you really want. At least that's my opinion. I've lived in a lot of places in the country, and I never found one to be terribly bad. All were tolerable. Then again, I'm not someone who's addicted to going to see high end plays or, on the other end of things, can't live in a town with greater than 3 stoplights.

It says on the carms site that if you break it, you're coughing up the cost of your education. Pretty standard I would think. It also says applicants with ties to Sask will be given preference (or something like that). I've heard of people trying to get out of them without paying the money back, but never first hand. I don't know if any were successful. I do know that both sides lawyers got their car payments that month.

• 6 months later...

One clarification to the above - the SMA bursaries are $25,000 each year for 3 years, $75,000 total. And ya looks like a better deal than paying back the bank if you decide not to honor it.

They did introduce the sask-alberta spot this year, but nobody matched to it in the first round including 2 sask candidates. Not sure about the second round.

Archived