Premed 101 Forums

Personal Reference

I'm having difficulty settling on my personal reference and was hoping to get some feedback. It's between my volunteer coordinator and a family friend. I've known my VC for 3+ years whereas the family friend has known me all my life. Obviously, the family friend know me better, but would it be better to have a reference from a "work" environment?

This might help. It's from the FAQ for interviewees.

"A personal reference is someone who has known you for at least 2 years who is not a family member or a close friend or a current medical student. You should be looking for someone who is able to comment on you as a potential doctor - perhaps a coach, pastor, volunteer supervisor, mentor, etc. Someone who has seen you develop over the years and can comment on your growth as a person."

Just my opinion but I'm not sure if family friend would be the greatest call. It seems your VC would be an ideal choice.

I don't know what UBC would do, but I know that on the form, it asks the referee to indicate the amount of time they've known the applicant. It may be a gamble to hope your referee would round up, and it may be an awkward situation to ask them to lie and say they've known you for longer.

I'm not too sure how others are getting their academic references, but mine is coming from a prof I had in first year who I kept in contact with throughout the years. He was a really engaging individual and we had a lot of interests in common, so he'd keep me up to date with current technologies, etc that he thought I'd find interesting. I think the most important thing is that they know you well and can speak to both strengths and weaknesses. The worst would be someone who checks out "don't know" or doesn't even have an anecdote to add at the end that demonstrates some quality. Even a TA would help, since they may have more one on one time with you (just make sure its a TA who remembers you and has known you for at least 2 years).

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

I'm having difficulty settling on my personal reference and was hoping to get some feedback. It's between my volunteer coordinator and a family friend. I've known my VC for 3+ years whereas the family friend has known me all my life. Obviously, the family friend know me better, but would it be better to have a reference from a "work" environment?

My 2 cents is to stay away from a family friend, no matter how well this friend may know you. The one exception is if there is a professional relationship. Friends and family will be discounted. It's like in court, a mother or friend, giving an alibi - it has less credibility than a person who is not so close.:(

I'm using a workplace supervisor for my community reference. I think the point is that they don't want an academic reference..so they don't want profs or ta's or research supervisors giving you a reference because it will be more academic?

I haven't asked for sure but if you look at the sample reference form they provided...the options for the referee to check are: manager, supervisor, peer..other (I think that's it)

It's the personal I'm having trouble with since I don't have a pastor or a mentor:S I think I'm gonna have to go with a friend. I have a friend who is a vet so I was going to ask them to do it....do you think they might trust a personal reference from a doctor more than just one of my random friends? I don't want it to be discounted just b/c it says 'friend'. On the other hand, that IS one of the options on the sample personal ref form so that would be mean of them to discount it when they gave us the option...right???

Guest soaring_eagle
My 2 cents is to stay away from a family friend, no matter how well this friend may know you. The one exception is if there is a professional relationship. Friends and family will be discounted. It's like in court, a mother or friend, giving an alibi - it has less credibility than a person who is not so close.:(

I don't know about this. I think to some degree, for someone to comment on your personal growth over an extended period of time, they have to be friends with you on some level.

I mean, I asked one individual (supervisor) who I'd known for 3 years to write me a personal reference, but I'm not friends with this person, etc., and she said she would do it but simply hadn't great depth since we never took the time to get to know each other well. We are acquantiances, but I eventually said no, since I feared she lacked perspective.

Message: I beleive a close friend may actually help more than they harm, as long as they are clearly told to maintain objectivity (and I also think its pretty obvious when someone is exaggerating/ lying in a letter of ref)

I agree with you. If you've known someone for two years well enough for them to give you a personal reference, they must be a friend right?

If UBC is asking for a personal reference, and if they're offering the choice to have a friend do it, then they're accepting that friends will likely give relatively good references right? I bet in general the personal reference doesn't hold as much weight as the other two though..esp. if it's way more glowing than the other two.

I don't think one reference is weighted more heavily than the others, becuase then why would they ask for three? I think the personal one for everyone will be more "glowing" simply because that person will know the applicant better and probably over a variety of settings, not just in school or research or in the community. I think the community and academic references will have a more professional tone than the personal one as it will follow the relationship, but those are just my thoughts......

• 3 weeks later...
Is there more information on reference letters that is not available online? Is it mandatory to have an academic reference? Thanks so much.

I'm not sure what else you need. It all seems pretty straight forward on the website.

I doubt they would trash your application if you did not have an academic reference, but I bet it would seriously hurt your chances. I don't know for sure though. Whats the problem around your academic ref?

In addition to academic reference, should you try and have one in each category or would it be fine to have two academic (one is research coordinator who is a professor, other is a professor I've had for 4 classes) , one work supervisor and that's it.

You are going to want one in each category. Just have the other academic one fill out the personal form, or pick someone else.

Archived