Premed 101 Forums

CutOff Posting

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they used to do that until last year, and they never actually told us what the actual cutoffs were. The 9,9,9,R for mcats was the general concensus based on people last year reporting back their stats and whether they had interviews.

I wonder why Queens chose to do that though.

Yeah, they used to do that until last year, and they never actually told us what the actual cutoffs were. The 9,9,9,R for mcats was the general concensus based on people last year reporting back their stats and whether they had interviews.

I wonder why Queens chose to do that though.

I think its because when you post a specific number, people will know where they stand. If you don't, then unless you are on Premed101, you wouldn't have figured it out. Maybe the lack of knowledge would have "reset" the cutoffs, as they probably didn't like the idea of a 9 9 9 R. Too bad thngs hit the fan with a recod 3k applicants.

I think its because when you post a specific number, people will know where they stand. If you don't, then unless you are on Premed101, you wouldn't have figured it out. Maybe the lack of knowledge would have "reset" the cutoffs, as they probably didn't like the idea of a 9 9 9 R. Too bad thngs hit the fan with a recod 3k applicants.

How do you know whether or not Queen's likes or dislikes the 9/9/9 R cutoff? Or are you talking about the applicants?

If you post 9/9/9 R then people close to scores of 9/9/9 R may apply. You may be forced to then stick to those cutoffs. Not telling anyone would not , discourage those with 10/10/10/P to apply, and so in that way they would be able to revert to more balanced cutoffs.

I don't know if the liked the 9/9/9/R or not. That's probably why i used the words maybe and probably lol. I just speculated so because they didn't seem like they knew what they were going to do with the applicant pool. It obviously was a baffle as to why the cutoffs had to shoot up to R. That's why they took a lot longer to let us know than 2 years ago (when the cutoffs went up december 20).

If you post 9/9/9 R then people close to scores of 9/9/9 R may apply. You may be forced to then stick to those cutoffs. Not telling anyone would not , discourage those with 10/10/10/P to apply, and so in that way they would be able to revert to more balanced cutoffs.

I don't know if the liked the 9/9/9/R or not. That's probably why i used the words maybe and probably lol. I just speculated so because they didn't seem like they knew what they were going to do with the applicant pool. It obviously was a baffle as to why the cutoffs had to shoot up to R. That's why they took a lot longer to let us know than 2 years ago (when the cutoffs went up december 20).

I actually think that one of the reasons why they used 9/9/9 R as their cutoffs is b/c they were too many applicants with 10/10/10 P. If they posted the cutoffs two years ago in 2006 with 10/10/10 P, then many applicants who are below that cutoff may not bother applying in 2007, thinking they had no chance. If they don't post the cutoffs, it garners them a larger applicant pool, b/c applicants who meet either one of the cutoffs (ie 2006 and 2007) will apply, in which case, it's anybody's guess as to what the cutoffs will be. Whether or not they have a preference for a certain cutoff remains to be seen, although I sincerely think their main goal right now is to get pool of 760 interviewees, and whether it's done through the 10/10/10 P or 9/9/9 R really depends on the applicant pool, and not so much on whether they prefer one cutoff over another

Hi,

The work surrounding generating the interview invitations is almost complete. As has been suggested previously, interview invites are expected to be sent out next week. I have also been informed that Feb 6 is the worst case scenario date.

Good luck in your preparation.

*gulp*

part of me is excited that this new phase is beginning and the other part of me is realllllly scared. anyone else feel that way? :o

Guest viscous
I cannot stand to wait until next week...what a pain...I'd rather know one way or the other, sooner rather than later.

nice name dude. gave me chuckles. BIG MAN ON CAMPUS.

I actually think that one of the reasons why they used 9/9/9 R as their cutoffs is b/c they were too many applicants with 10/10/10 P. If they posted the cutoffs two years ago in 2006 with 10/10/10 P, then many applicants who are below that cutoff may not bother applying in 2007, thinking they had no chance. If they don't post the cutoffs, it garners them a larger applicant pool, b/c applicants who meet either one of the cutoffs (ie 2006 and 2007) will apply, in which case, it's anybody's guess as to what the cutoffs will be. Whether or not they have a preference for a certain cutoff remains to be seen, although I sincerely think their main goal right now is to get pool of 760 interviewees, and whether it's done through the 10/10/10 P or 9/9/9 R really depends on the applicant pool, and not so much on whether they prefer one cutoff over another

Yeah I agree with you in that whatever gets posted gears applicants with those stats to apply. That was my reasoning as to why they didn't post 9/9/9R.

I don't know why y ou would have to interview 760 students to fill in 100 spots. I think that is a little too much and kind of unfair to those who have to travel for so long for a shot at something so small. An interview ought to be reciprocal. You are there to see if the school is a good fit for you and for them to see if you are a good fit for you. I think in interviewing 760 shows some slight lack of respect, but that's just my opinion.

I think Queen's should double their med school spaces. ;)

Edit: I think all schools should double their med school spaces.

Queen's will be increasing their med school spaces once the new med building is built. At the moment, increasing the class size would mean that there would be students who would be sitting in the aisles. As well, in order for the class size to increase, more use of our surrounding areas will be used for clerkship (eg: Bellville, Oshawa). All students will be in Kingston for the first two years though. The goal is to have 124 students in first year, but that won't be for a number of years. (The increase will happen in increments of 6 students, and won't start until 2011 or 2012.)

Elaine

Yeah I agree with you in that whatever gets posted gears applicants with those stats to apply. That was my reasoning as to why they didn't post 9/9/9R.

I don't know why y ou would have to interview 760 students to fill in 100 spots. I think that is a little too much and kind of unfair to those who have to travel for so long for a shot at something so small. An interview ought to be reciprocal. You are there to see if the school is a good fit for you and for them to see if you are a good fit for you. I think in interviewing 760 shows some slight lack of respect, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think it's a lack of respect at all. I know know - it decreases your shots for getting admitted if you are granted an interview. However, I think that Queen's, by interviewing 760 applicants, believes that there are alot of great doctors out there who don't necessarily have a 4.0 gpa and >34 mcat. I know lots of brillant people out there sitting with a 3.5-3.7 and the cut offs might be ridiculous if they move it to 500 and they might miss out on choosing these incredible people. Just because you have a 4.0 and great mcat doesn't mean you'll be a good doctor.

To add to Elaine's comment,

As part of the provincial gov't initiative to increase the number of doctors being produced, funding was offered by the gov't for Queen's to add spaces to its classes. You may have heard the rumors that the class was supposed to increase to 106 last year. Not really rumors at all - more of a mistranslation since Queen's was offered those spots, but deferred with the acute understanding that the opportunities, education, and overall experience of the entire class might suffer. Another medical school in the province took up these space.

Good luck in your preparation

Archived