Premed 101 Forums

CutOff Posting

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol..... I can't wait for that...

I can name at least 3 instances in the last two years where I botched something.... even just by a single percent, that would have gave me just a slightly higher GPA....

Alas, here I am with my 3.75 (2 yr) and the hope that the 60% increase in applicants was a result of a bunch of people taking a shot with lower MCAT scores due to last years cutoffs.

Lol if not, I'll be back next year begrudgingly with a last 2 year GPA well above the cutoffs given no giant 2nd semester collapse this year.

Lol, I have a pretty similar experience. It was all because of a measly bottle of coke. It was first day of a psyc course (3 hr lecture), we had a 10 min break so i went and got a coke bottle. During this time the prof handed out the course outline. And once I returned we were supposed to start picking dates for a group presentation w/ other ppl. I picked a date and realized after that it was on the same day as a midterm for the same course. That totally screwed me over since the presentation itself went pretty bad. I had a miterm for another course the same day as well. Till now, thats the only B+, I have on my transcript. :P

lol... I had a professor say the final will be exactly like the midterm... you shouldn't have to study any harder for it then you did for the midterm......

It was in Exercise Biochem..... only a midterm and final. I had an 89% going in and had been relatively lazy on the midterm... actually studied a little harder for the final... but under that advice, didn't go overboard.

This test was absolutely nothing like the midterm, it was atrocious. I walked out with a 78% (3.3) final on the course. It brought my year down to an even 3.6 ..... and I needed a 3.9 last year to even get back into 2 yr gpa contention. Lol if only I had held an 80 or an 85.... I would be a lot more confident with a 3.78 right now.....

That's my story about would of, could of, should of. Can't dwell on the past.

I have the GPA I have now and will take what I'm given. If nothing, I'll be back lol.

I dunno...like QI2009 said, Queen's cutoffs were set way before Western's cutoffs were posted...so it'd be very much a coincidence if they both had the same cutoffs. Also, Western is interviewing ~20% of their applicant pool (470/2300) while Queen's is interviewing ~25% of their applicant pool (760/3038) so I would expect Queen's cutoffs to be a bit (just a bit) more lenient.

I dunno...like QI2009 said, Queen's cutoffs were set way before Western's cutoffs were posted...so it'd be very much a coincidence if they both had the same cutoffs. Also, Western is interviewing ~20% of their applicant pool (470/2300) while Queen's is interviewing ~25% of their applicant pool (760/3038) so I would expect Queen's cutoffs to be a bit (just a bit) more lenient.

I hope. :)

I'm guessing the cutoffs will be similar to Western's...3.75 and 9/10/11/Q. That way those who get to interview at both schools will have a better chance at (a well earned) matriculation this year.

Or here's hoping, anyway.

You mean a best 2 year gpa of 3.75? Thats generally what its always been around. Well, ~ 3.78 2 years ago, 3.76 last year.

I'm guessing the cutoffs will be similar to Western's...3.75 and 9/10/11/Q. That way those who get to interview at both schools will have a better chance at (a well earned) matriculation this year.

Or here's hoping, anyway.

Another thing to consider is Western makes sure via the different cutoffs that they get more SWOMEN applicants interviewing. I believe in the last dean's report said somewhere in the range of 60-80 interviewees...

Some of those people will meet the normal cutoffs but you have to imagine there a few that don't further driving up the non-swomen cutoffs.

Something that doesn't occur with queen's of course.

Another thing to consider is Western makes sure via the different cutoffs that they get more SWOMEN applicants interviewing. I believe in the last dean's report said somewhere in the range of 60-80 interviewees...

Some of those people will meet the normal cutoffs but you have to imagine there a few that don't further driving up the non-swomen cutoffs.

Something that doesn't occur with queen's of course.

Good point, but given that 3000 people applied this year I am expecting a modest increase in cutoffs, especially considering that the number of interviewed applicants had to be increased by 50% so as to not drive the numbers to a ridiculous height.

Good point, but given that 3000 people applied this year I am expecting a modest increase in cutoffs, especially considering that the number of interviewed applicants had to be increased by 50% so as to not drive the numbers to a ridiculous height.

How can you expect an increase in cutoffs when the number of interviewed folk went up as well. It is just as likely that cutoffs stayed the same, and possibly went down in some areas.

How can you expect an increase in cutoffs when the number of interviewed folk went up as well. It is just as likely that cutoffs stayed the same, and possibly went down in some areas.

I don't they went down, but I agree they are likely the same. I don't think they specifically wanted more applicants, but at the same cut off levels from before they just got a lot more that qualified.

I am guessing of course :)

Someone in a previous post in this thread, possibly Elaine or QI2009, mentioned that the admissions office was compelled to increase the number of applicants to mitigate the increase in cutoffs that accompanied this year's increase in applicants.

I'm perhaps reading between the lines here, but I took that to mean that the cutoffs were going to increase regardless, and more applicants are going to be considered for interview to ensure they did not become ridiculous. I'm more confident that they will increase as opposed to decrease, particularly this cycle. The only cutoff that I can foresee decreasing is the WS; I highly doubt PS,VR, or BS will drop to an 8. As for GPA, i'm sure it'll stand +/- 0.05 of the current value, but given UWO's increase it seems more likely it would increase at Queen's, too.

I think there are a few ways it could go based on a number of things....

Whether Queen's responded purely to the number of applicants... because they're interview ~25% of applicants this year vs. ~27% last year. So maybe they just wanted a rough 1 in 4 interview to application number.

In which case you have to judge the strength of the additional 1200 applicants which I'm guessing is weaker than the original 1800. While you do have a bunch of masters students coming from the double cohort I think the majority of additional applicants are a result of Queen's taking 9's last year and as a result of them not giving any indication of the previous cutoffs at all this year for the first time in many years.

So now everyone is applying with 8's and 9's with the hope that last year's new cutoffs were a sign that anything can happen. Then you have probably a bunch of uninformed applicants with bad MCAT scores that applied to Queens because they don't tell you what last year's cutoffs were so they have no idea what's acceptable.

However, Queens may have tried to make cutoffs with the original 500 people and saw how bad they were and in response tailored the # to get the cutoffs they wanted which would likely be the same as last year or slightly higher.

In either instance.... the cutoffs won't change significantly I don't think.

I think GPA will be quite stable. I think if the change comes from anywhere you might see something like a cumulative 30.... where last year I saw the odd high 20 with 9's get an interview.

Then again there is no way of knowing until they release them and we all compare to the best of our ability. Maybe they adopted a whole new philosophy. Up until 2006 the 2 yr gpa and cumulative gpa cutoff were the exact same number. I bet those that applied with a 2 yr. gpa of 3.66 in 2005 and got an interview had no idea that the 2 year gpa would be a 3.78 in 2006 if they needed to reapply.....

So fingers crossed, and best of luck to everyone on the bubble.

So now everyone is applying with 8's and 9's with the hope that last year's new cutoffs were a sign that anything can happen. Then you have probably a bunch of uninformed applicants with bad MCAT scores that applied to Queens because they don't tell you what last year's cutoffs were so they have no idea what's acceptable.

^^^^^^^This.

Can't you just wait until the invitations/rejections come out? All of this is pure speculation and heresay.

What would be the fun in that! Over analyzing and speculating on the cut offs that we will only be able to guess at in the end anyway in our only entertainment right now :)

What would be the fun in that! Over analyzing and speculating on the cut offs that we will only be able to guess at in the end anyway in our only entertainment right now :)

But it's also really stressful for those of us who are anxiously waiting for invitations! :P

Yes, I should stop coming on to these forums, but I can't help it! :(

Archived