Premed 101 Forums

How important is research?

panda__eyes

I was wondering if anyone could give me some perspective on the relative importance of research? I know research isn't a "must" but since so many people do research, I also feel compelled to do it (so that I'm on a similar playing field as others). But, of course, the experience will expose me to other career paths in the field of science.

All in all, how "important" is research? Does it also depend on the university? Would it be 'okay' to not do research but 'balance it out' with hopefully more unique ECs?

There's another thread about this.

I asked the same question. I didn't do NSERC and instead am working at Health Canada. I'm not super interested in research and my job at HC is related to medicine. and it's more interesting to me. You don't have to do research, just do stuff you're interested in.

There is nothing that says you "have" to do research.

I admit I started doing research because it seemed like everyone wanting to do medicine was doing it so I felt I had to as well. Most of the people I know had the exact same thought process. The difference? Most people HATE it and only do it for the sole purpose of fulfilling this unwritten need. I absolutely love reserch, have been doing it for 3 years now and will do my Msc in it this coming year.

My point of the story, is it really has no bearing on med school admissions. I have heard stories about how some schools in ontario may care more (please someone correct me on this) but the majority do not.Just do whaever EC you like to do. Otherwise...you will really hate research. (but if you want to do it, by all means go for it. it's a lot of fun I think lol).

I'm having alot of trouble with getting a research position In the first place. I havent really met any of my prof to the extent that they know me. but Im really interested in doing something like that, I have no idea how to go about doing it though. And by now is it too late?

Why? Research isn't for everyone nor should it be. Just like surgery isn't for everyone.

It's not really the same thing as Surgery vs. FP.

Research for most physicians is not a full time career. It often involves collaborating with basic science PhDs or recruiting patients for clinical research.

At the very least, a physician has to be very fluent with research paradigms and with the scientific method, considering that understanding new primary research will constitute a large part of their education after med school.

Involvement with research in some form or another is essential as a physician.

Do you need research experience to get into medical school? No.

Research must still be part of everyone's sphere of knowledge and understanding, and research/noresearch isn't comparable to specialties.

I'm having alot of trouble with getting a research position In the first place. I havent really met any of my prof to the extent that they know me. but Im really interested in doing something like that, I have no idea how to go about doing it though. And by now is it too late?

Your professor doesn't need to know you to give you a research position, that's for reference letters only. My research positions have been with professors completely unknown to me.

It's late but not too late. I don't think deadlines for research fellowships have passed, and it's certainly not too late to get a volutneer position.

You just have to e-mail your professor expressing your interest in their research. Be specific. Attach your CV and transcript (if it's good) and you will probably get an interview at least. If you have absolutely nothing on your CV and don't have good grades, the best thing may be to ask to volunteer.

Your professor doesn't need to know you to give you a research position, that's for reference letters only. My research positions have been with professors completely unknown to me.

It's late but not too late. I don't think deadlines for research fellowships have passed, and it's certainly not too late to get a volutneer position.

You just have to e-mail your professor expressing your interest in their research. Be specific. Attach your CV and transcript (if it's good) and you will probably get an interview at least. If you have absolutely nothing on your CV and don't have good grades, the best thing may be to ask to volunteer.

sometimes volunteering might not be a bad start. But the problem is consider how research funding is been cut right now, even as a "free" student most PIs are very selective toward them, because it is a waste of already scarce resource and potential project if the student does not produce good results.

sometimes volunteering might not be a bad start. But the problem is consider how research funding is been cut right now, even as a "free" student most PIs are very selective toward them, because it is a waste of already scarce resource and potential project if the student does not produce good results.

No volunteer that I know of has ever been given their own project.

They very often assist a grad student or otherwise in doing their project--as a result, they are just free labor and cost nothing that wouldn't be spent anyway.

It's a relationship of mutual benefit because the volunteer gains lab skills, experience for their CV, an introduction to the scientific method, a reference, connections for a paid position, et cetera.

You don't start at the top.

Then again, a better choice (and what I did) is to do a research course. This way you get a credit, your own project, et cetera. UT has these as ROP299, 399, 498/499 and college based courses.

If you can get your own award, *cough* very high GPA * cough*, then profs will be willing to take you after 2nd year without any research experience.

Many people are moving away from volunteers now due to hospital policy, etc.

Hospital policy?

Have not heard this.

Do you mean for clinical research?

Hospital policy?

Have not heard this.

There are very few if any clinical research opportunities for undergrad, since most clinical research takes long time and commitment. I think prof now, at least from my department are becoming much more picky and selective towards undergrad volunteering students. They still love to take those who come with a research fellowship (eg. NSERC ugrad summer research), since at least it is semi-indictive of those students' research ability, although it might not necessarily be true. Doing research project is also a good opportunity, but most research projects course for 4th year students.

Hospital policy?

Have not heard this.

\

Our family friend who is a researcher says that many of the hospitals now are setting policies against accepting volunteers because they're not employees and insured, etc. Before, they used to just come without even being part of a volunteer program. But I think they are trying to be more strict about it.

Archived