Premed 101 Forums

MMI tips

japlanet

I had a pretty good MMI at U of A last year (scored at the admitted average). The only time where I felt I didn't do as well was when I started answering a supplemental question, and then forgot what it was halfway through my answer...but instead of asking to repeat, I just kept rambling on for no reason, so I totally bombed that supplemental. So yeah, if you lose track, don't be ashamed to stop and ask your interviewer to repeat something.

Also, while they tell interviewers NOT to give any sort of feedback to the applicant (mostly in terms of facial expressions), I found that most people were easy to read - at all but 2 stations it was painfully obvious when I said smth that the interviewer liked, so I'd note that and continue with that thought. The minority of the interviewers kept a poker face, though.

I don't know if it contributed to my score at all, but one thing I did at every single station was start by saying smth like "the issue at hand is this-and-this, and there are 2 main POVs on addressing this, so I'm going to discuss both in detail" - and then I summarized at the end, saying "so, to go back to this, these are the 2 main ways of addressing this issue, and I personally support the 1st way because of a), B), and c)." This was to help me collect my thoughts and track what I was talking about AND to make sure my interviewer didn't miss something.

Listen carefully to the question and for the warning bell/call to switch stations. :) Hurry to the next one, but don't run. If you run, trip, fall... you will be completely flustered for the next station.

And yes, take the bottle of water, and an extra pencil when they offer it. I used up two bottles of water... two pencils... and three pieces of paper.

I forgot my pencil after the 2nd station. haha I didn't drink any water either. :cool:

The patient "simulations" are just to push your limits. They USUALLY have nothing to do with any sort of deep ethical dilemma but just test how you handle stress.

When I went through the interview process, I felt like that was my worst station but you really need to keep your cool and focus on deconstructing the situation.

The best way to practice (at first) is with someone else you feel comfortable around. You really cannot prepare for most of the questions they will ask you in the MMI, sometimes they are totally random! But you can home in on how to direct your though process and verbalize it properly which is super important.

The other thing I will stress is that these forums/talking to other and mainly the whole process in general makes the interview alot more intimidating.

When you go for your interviews, and I speak from experience, don't question your worth or how you measure up to the 400 other people there, just reflect on how much you've done to get here in the first place and how much of an amazing doctor you will make. Being calm and knowing exactly who I was and wasn't (although super hard to do) during the interview day and disseminating this to those around me was ultimately what I though got me in.

HUGE rambling! Hope it makes some sense

MD/PhD Candidate

McMaster University

I just got my interview request 2 days ago (yay!). It seems there are 12 stations with 8 mins. per station and 2 min. break between stations. The whole thing is supposed to take 2 hrs. Can anybody that's done it before give hints/tips on what to expect from the different stations?

(by the way, I'm a long-time lurker, 1st-time poster)

I just got my interview request 2 days ago (yay!). It seems there are 12 stations with 8 mins. per station and 2 min. break between stations. The whole thing is supposed to take 2 hrs. Can anybody that's done it before give hints/tips on what to expect from the different stations?

Keep in mind that the 2 minutes are not really for a "break", but rather to walk to the next room (it's nearby, and there are people to guide you, with clear numbers so you won't get lost!), and to read and prepare for the next station. As for what to expect, I believe there are some sample MMI situations in the package Mac sends to you. Good luck!

Keep in mind that the 2 minutes are not really for a "break", but rather to walk to the next room (it's nearby, and there are people to guide you, with clear numbers so you won't get lost!), and to read and prepare for the next station. As for what to expect, I believe there are some sample MMI situations in the package Mac sends to you. Good luck!

Oh we get to read it ahead of time? I thought it was just a right on-the-spot thing...LOL. Thanks for the tips. But as far as the different stations, is it already setup as one for Ethical Decision Making, one for Critical Thinking, etc. Or is it more random than that?

Oh we get to read it ahead of time? I thought it was just a right on-the-spot thing...LOL. Thanks for the tips. But as far as the different stations, is it already setup as one for Ethical Decision Making, one for Critical Thinking, etc. Or is it more random than that?

it is random i think. basically it's like they come in waves so you really need to be able to think on your feet.

The question/scenario I foresee having the most trouble with is if I'm asked to communicate with someone who does not speak English. Besides body language and pointing etc, I'm not sure how to communicate a concrete idea (like, I need to go XX, can you point the way etc).

what happens if you take less than 8 minutes to answer a question...

and for the acting parts, will the actors force it to go 8 minutes, what if you solve their problem in less time....will there be awkward silence until 8 minutes is over

also...walking into the room, should i introduce myself to everyone in the room?

• 4 weeks later...
what happens if you take less than 8 minutes to answer a question...

and for the acting parts, will the actors force it to go 8 minutes, what if you solve their problem in less time....will there be awkward silence until 8 minutes is over

Your guess as good as mine.

also...walking into the room, should i introduce myself to everyone in the room?

I wouldn't. Seems like a waste of time. They have your name on a sheet somewhere.

Edit: Jixe says "Yes, that's right. You'll have a name tag, and they'll jot down your name."

Your guess as good as mine.

I wouldn't. Seems like a waste of time. They have your name on a sheet somewhere.

Edit: Jixe says "Yes, that's right. You'll have a name tag, and they'll jot down your name."

I introduced myself to the interviewer "hi my name is cleboman" and gave them my sticker. at mac you get a page of stickers and you peel one off when you enter a room and give it to the person marking.

try to smile :)

they always have follow up questions that they ask, sometimes even unrelated to what the main question/scenario was. I was never done before the 8 minutes...there was always more to say or another question to answer.

Here's a tip. If you get a break, go urinate. I didn't because I thought "I only have 3 more stations and I don't have to go that bad." Well on my last station I was squirming in my chair so badly the interviewer would have to be a fool to not notice. He probably thought I had hemorrhoids.

Just a random tip:

MMI questions are not always one page. I had a question where the question itself was provided on one page, then they provided a second sheet which had some data that I had to interpret. It was the first MMI question I did that day and I was so jacked up on adrenaline that I didn't even notice as I interpreted that question as a disguised strengths and weaknesses question :eek:

Luckily, I noticed before I proceeded to answer the question that there was a second page since they provided the question on the door and in the room in case you needed it.

Always stop and think even if you had alot of say.

Archived