Premed 101 Forums

Nurse to MD

ladyluck08

hey there, i am finishing nursing school and if asked i would say:

1. MD's have a larger scope of practice than nurses

2. I did not go to nursing school to be a nurse specifically, i did it to gain a Bachelor's degree I could build on and have the option of nursing

3. I do not want to pass the buck to MD's, i want the responsibility of an MD

4. To become an NP you need 2 years of acute care nursing plus a 2 year master's...and then end up making 40-50% of MD salary.

5. NP's generally do not work as hospitalists in acute care (ie ER, OBS, Medicine...)

6. I regularly see an NP and although her scope is large she still needs to get the go ahead from an MD on certain meds and treatments.

7. don't think i would go into the world of 'cleaning duties', KWIM?

'zat good?

much luck to you! :)

• 3 months later...
7. don't think i would go into the world of 'cleaning duties', KWIM?

:( I...err.. wow.

Is that your view on nurses? Really and truly?

And you being one, going through the training, experiencing clincals?

That's kinda.. I dunno. It irks me. I guess nurses do have 'cleaning duties' as part of their job description in some convoluded way, but I don't know if I would pick that aspect as being one of the sole descriptors of what they do. 'Cleaning duties' are part of their therapeutic interventions. Assisting a patient who cannot help himself/herself is contributing to health and wellness. It's preventing illness (ulcers, etc).

I guess it can be pretty thankless at times, but... :( It saddens me to hear you say these things.

"1. MD's have a larger scope of practice than nurses

2. I did not go to nursing school to be a nurse specifically, i did it to gain a Bachelor's degree I could build on and have the option of nursing

3. I do not want to pass the buck to MD's, i want the responsibility of an MD

4. To become an NP you need 2 years of acute care nursing plus a 2 year master's...and then end up making 40-50% of MD salary.

5. NP's generally do not work as hospitalists in acute care (ie ER, OBS, Medicine...)

6. I regularly see an NP and although her scope is large she still needs to get the go ahead from an MD on certain meds and treatments.

7. don't think i would go into the world of 'cleaning duties', KWIM?"

I see what you are saying! However, it sort of seems to me as though most of the points are being used to define how nursing is different from medicine, not how it is inherently defined, ie: wants physician responsibility, salary is less than MD, needs to consult with others before determining care. The only things I saw that defined nursing as a profession were the cleaning and the lack of acute care practice. I do realize the OP's point was inherently to describe the difference between the two, I'm just trying to explain where my ill-advised niggling about job descriptors came from. I meant no offence of any kind.

Archived