Premed 101 Forums

MMI: Off the wall questions?

Hey,

I'm wondering how did you guys keep up with the current news and were there questions on global issues in the MMI (ie: what do you think of the prime minister etc)? Are there issues we should be reading into (for instance: SARS, Canadian involvement in Afghanistan etc).

What if they ask you a question where you actually don't know the answer? Should you ask the interviewer politely like "to be honest I am not familiar with this issue, can you elaborate..." and then discuss based on the information given.

Thanks,

P.S. I really appreciate the time that med students are putting into to reading posts on this forum and helping people like us. Hats off to you all! :D I will do the same if I do get to be a med student one day. :)

Hey,

I'm wondering how did you guys keep up with the current news and were there questions on global issues in the MMI (ie: what do you think of the prime minister etc)? Are there issues we should be reading into (for instance: SARS, Canadian involvement in Afghanistan etc).

What if they ask you a question where you actually don't know the answer? Should you ask the interviewer politely like "to be honest I am not familiar with this issue, can you elaborate..." and then discuss based on the information given.

Thanks,

P.S. I really appreciate the time that med students are putting into to reading posts on this forum and helping people like us. Hats off to you all! :D I will do the same if I do get to be a med student one day. :)

1. In the weeks before my MMI I watched the news almost everyday to stay up-to-date on current events. Questions on politics, health care, and global health have been used in past interviews (especially the panel, so far not so much on the MMI, though the format is still new to UofM) so having knowledge and an opinion on such topics might be beneficial. Important health issues (SARS, bird flu, two-tiered health care, waitlists, health budgeting) are especially important in any medical school interview.

2. If you are asked a question (either on the door or as a follow-up question) about an issue/topic that you are completely stumped on, your best option is to ask the interviewer to elaborate. You will likely never be asked "Tell me everything you know about [insert issue/topic]." Rather, a more probable question would be "Give me your thoughts or opinions on [insert issue/topic]," thus having some background information will allow you to generate an adequate and thoughtful response. Interviewers will be prepared to elaborate on an issue the more specific it is, for example if the question pertained to some recent event in Canadian politics.

Providing an opinion will not hurt you. Just be prepared to back it up if the interviewer decides to challenge it.

During my [panel] interview, one of the standardized questions I was given was regarding an issue I was not familiar with at all, and really hadn't really thought about. So I did exactly like you said. Explained I wasn't familiar with the subject, and they had no problem clarifying. I stumbled through that answer more than the others, but perhaps they cut me a little slack because I didn't just BS my way through it (which would have been worse, I'm sure. Especially on follow-up).

After all, in medicine it's extremely important to be able to admit when you don't know something :)

Thank you all for those very helpful responses! I will do my homework :)

What about questions where you need to interact with an actor? Is there any way to prepare for those? Hehe, present a situation to a friend and ask him/her to give you a hard time...

1. How would you deal with an angry patient (or anyone)? Are the following a good way to deal with it:

I would acknowledge the patient's feelings. Not rush to the solution to the problem right away. Try to calm him down before attempting to solve his problem.

STAY CALM

Do not be rude.

2. Breaking the bad news...how do you do that?

I would sit down with the patient, and break the news in a direct way. I will then lay out the options that are available. I will take time to go over benefits and risks of each one and give the patient lots of time to ask questions.

3. Any other general scenarios you encountered with actors? (ie convincing etc.)?

Thanks once again!

P.S. Aranndil, thanks for your advice in an earlier thread about slippery shoes, I realized that high heels and ice do not mix well...lol one more reason to go shopping :D

Thanks, I'm so glad you told me about the fact you and the interviewer aren't suppose to talk!

They give you a notepad right?

Do they also give you a place to leave your jacket (lol, minor detail but I do plan to bundle up for Winnipeg and hopefully I don't have to drag stuff to meet the interviewers :D)

I think an interview panel would be more fun in general because you'd get to develop a rapport and so on. I'm sure MMI does reduce bias though because as aranndil says, if you get a grumpy man who doesn't like the cut of your jib, you're pretty much ****ed.

hey guys.. i have a pretty random question.. but i was curious when we are in the MMI interview.. do we get to sit down or are we standing up infront of the interviewer? the reason I ask is that i'm afraid i'm going to be extremely nervous.. i think getting to sit down would make me feel a lot better.. and make it a little easier to hide my shaky hands! :o

thanks!

We sit. There's supposed to be a table in there between us and the interviewer that has the question stem on it, too, so we don't have to worry about memorizing all the details of each question.

Yes, you get to sit down at each station. Though, there might not be a table at each station and you might have to place the queston sheet on your lap while answering. Nothing to worry about though.

Yes, 1 on 1. Are you going to play 'the nice interviewer' or 'scare the sh!t out of the applicant interviewer?'

excellent, that makes it a little more fun. I'll be nice, I swear! Although my impression is all I have to do is read the question and sit there and write down what the applicant says with no further interaction

excellent, that makes it a little more fun. I'll be nice, I swear! Although my impression is all I have to do is read the question and sit there and write down what the applicant says with no further interaction

No reading necessary. The applicant reads the question/prompt on the door outside your room for 2 minutes before entering. All you need to say is "Did you get a chance to read the question?" Once they say yes, all you need to do is listen to their response and ask follow-up questions, if necessary. UofM might even make you play the 'mean interviewer.'

Jag, please do NOT read the question to the interviewer. I had a few people do this and it cut into my 8 minutes and made me a little mad, because they'd read super fast and for no purpose... I can read ;)

I will go loco if anyone does this to me. According to the mock MMI I did last weekend, I like to talk a lot, and I need all the time in each station that I can get! Please please please let my interviewers be kind in this regard!

I did mock MMI's last week! What colour track?! I was on green :)

I think I was... yellow? Maybe? Q's about HD, challenges, etc. (trying not to give anything away for those who have yet to do the mock!), if that helps pin it down. Maybe we saw each other? Oooh, I know what will help: I was wearing black. I know, that makes me totally stand out against all the other interviewees, right? :P

Archived