Premed 101 Forums

Interview Dates

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from Northern community and have interviewed 3 times at NOSM:

1st time: 3.2 wgpa (waitlisted)

2nd time: 3.47 (no waitlist)

3rd time: (3.47) (waitlisted very close)

4th time (this year): 3.96

Huge crap shoot.. but from what I've heard and experienced.. even if you're from the North and have a gpa less than 3.6, it will be very very very hard to get accepted even with an excellent interview. Pre-interview score counts for a lot.

I'm from Northern community and have interviewed 3 times at NOSM:

Huge crap shoot.. but from what I've heard and experienced.. even if you're from the North and have a gpa less than 3.6, it will be very very very hard to get accepted even with an excellent interview. Pre-interview score counts for a lot.

Who told you this? Read the NOSM website!! HELLO! After you get an interview, your GPA only counts for 1/6 of your score. It is a fair amount, but a strong interview can definitely go far.

Please post accurate information.

Hi!

First time poster, longtime lurker. As for what Steelie said. This is what Nosm has on their website

"If your GPA is significantly below 3.70, you may want to consider taking a masters degree or a second undergraduate degree to strengthen your application to NOSM." They probably say this because people do not generally get in with lower stats.

Furthermore, looking at the admission stats themselves (3.67-3.72) suggests that those who are below these stats are likely not going to get in (I know of one person who got in with a 3.5ish, but besides that, all stats were much higher).

I think Steelie has the right idea. Getting into Nosm is competitive, and those extra few points make all the difference.

Mei Mei Girl and Superking25,

My gpa has changed so much because of NOSM now considering GPA equally across all post-secondary years and because my new gpa will now consist of my second degree only. This is possible.

As for the 1/6 gpa, this doesn't sound like a lot.. but when you have students who are from the North, have good sketches, and who interview well... separation can only exist with gpa's. And from what I have heard from current students, interview scores generally do not vary much from students who interview well.

Mei Mei girl,

Would you mind posting a link to where exactly on the NOSM website you read that GPA is only 1/6 of your post-interview score? I've read the NOSM website very carefully a number of times and I have never come across this information.

Thanks,

CinnamonQueen

It's not on the website as far as I'm aware. Not sure where that info came from either.

Good luck!

From what I know, this posting is accurate.

The 1/6 may not be in writing on the website, but this is the scoring system that the admissions staff will confirm when you phone. 1/2 of your final score is pre-interview material, 1/2 is interview. Pre-interview material is broken down into 3 categories: 1/3 context, 1/3 written sample, 1/3 gpa. Out of your final score, these 3 are given a value of 1/6 (1/3 x 2).

Hi there,

I have read the messages on this post and since the tone of the messages is that one is not likely to get into NOSM unless your GPA is >3.5, I felt compelled to post a message. I can tell you that my wGPA was below 3.5. I am from the North and a mature student. I was waitlisted at number 10 on my first time applying and was fortunate to get accepted. So...for those of you who are trying to figure out the guessing game as to what your chances are...don't think that just because your GPA may not be as high as it should be that you don't have a chance! Good luck to all of you in the next couple of weeks for interview invites!:)

The interview weekends this year are:

March 28 & 29

April 4 & 5

Which leaves me in a pickle! I have an interview at McMaster on April 4, and if (and hopefully when) I get an interview at NOSM, it would have to be on April 5! I can't attend interviews on the weekend of the 28 & 29 so it looks like I will have a fun filled weekend of travelling Ontario and interviewing!

From what I know, this posting is accurate.

The 1/6 may not be in writing on the website, but this is the scoring system that the admissions staff will confirm when you phone. 1/2 of your final score is pre-interview material, 1/2 is interview. Pre-interview material is broken down into 3 categories: 1/3 context, 1/3 written sample, 1/3 gpa. Out of your final score, these 3 are given a value of 1/6 (1/3 x 2).

I am sorry; when I applied last year the breakdown was on the website. However, this is right Steelie. If you call the admissions office this is what they will tell you too.

Although having a high GPA is a good factor, with their scheme it is not as high a factor as some other schools. However, only about 400 students are given interviews. Last year those given interviews has GPA's averging 3.60. So to even get an interview you have to be competetive academically in the first place.

All I meant to say was that a good interview can overcome a poorer GPA (I personally know people who got in on that basis). Good luck everyone!! I just hope people aren't discouraged if their GPA's are a bit lower.

The interview weekends this year are:

March 28 & 29

April 4 & 5

Which leaves me in a pickle!

Pickles are pretty terrible places. I don't envy you, my friend.

We get to choose our interview weekend, yes?

Has anyone ever eaten oneself out of a pickle?

Is that even possible?

Does anyone know if they are flexible or receptive to people changing their interview dates? Although I'm not expecting an interview invite (but fingers crossed anyways...), the only date I'm available is March 28. I'm leaving the country early on March 29 and won't be back until late on April 5.

Thanks for any input,

CinnamonQueen

Archived