Premed 101 Forums

Good/Bad Waitlist

It is (I believe) simply an indication of how far up/down the waitlist you are. So 'good' waitlist means you're relatively near the top, such that there's a decent chance that you'll receive an offer eventually, whereas for the 'bad' waitlist, it's less likely, because they would have had to burn through the whole 'good' waitlist first.

Does anyone actually get rejected from U of Ottawa? It seems like instead of rejecting people, they just put them on the "bad waitlist". Does anyone know if this is correct?

That's correct, but they basically tell you you're rejected. If you're not on the 'good waitlist' your email suggests you seek out alternative plans because the chances of you being accepted are very slim.

NONE of the schools will tell you what number you are unless you bribe them, they accept monetary incentives and patronage.

I thought Dal tells people? I seem to recall reading posts from last year where people were saying which number they were on the list???

I guess the Ontario schools are smarter about bribery...Dal should really look into it as alternative funding! :P

I thought Dal tells people? I seem to recall reading posts from last year where people were saying which number they were on the list???

I guess the Ontario schools are smarter about bribery...Dal should really look into it as alternative funding! :P

in addition to dal, NOSM also tells you your # on the waitlist

About 40-60% of people will reject their english stream offers, the admissions office keeps a tally, and takes an average number, say 50. On May 15th, they offer a position to the first 152/550, and send the top 200/550 good waitlist emails, and everyone below that gets the bad waitlist. When the spots are filled, everyone who isn't admitted is considered rejected.

The high rejection of offers is because Ottawa accepts the same people as UT and Queens (which have a better name).

The rumors goes as the interview marks are graduated and quantized. 4.00, 3.75, 3.50, 3.25, 3.0, etc.

usually no one is getting less than 3.0.

the rumor also goes that the interview committee gives you a mark at the end of the day, not immediately after the interview. So if you are early in the day... you might considering going the extra mile to make an impression. To standardize the interview committees (so some committees won't accept significantly more candidates than others), they are probably restricted to giving out only 1.5 4.00 scores out of 6-7 interviews per day, and so on. This pushes the interviewers into a corner as many of them will end with very positive impressions of you at the end of the interview but are forced to somehow subjectively compare you vs. everyone else. But this will eliminate variability with so many interview groups and eliminate bias with large sample size. Chances are, if you are a strong candidate, you will shine through anyway, lots of people in my class had early morning interviews.

On may 15th, everyone with a 4.0 interview score and GPA >3.93 (or something like that because I know a few people off the waitlist on the first day of the first round of calls have GPA of 3.92) will be admitted instantly for english stream - 112 offers (as well as any native/MMTP people, which take priority, but not their waitlisted candidates).

by june 1st the waitlist will have started rolling towards the rest of the people with 4.0 interview scores. So although you don't know your waitlist number, it's easy to figure it out.

if your GPA is like 3.98, and you are on the waitlist, you are on the bottom half of the list but near the middle. If your GPA is 3.7 and you are a grad student, you are on top of the wait list if your interview score was 4.0, and on the bottom if your interview score is 3.75.

So forget your GPAs for now and focus on the interviews skillz, a 4.0 is a sure ticket into Ottawa one way or another.

Jerry-mon, thanks for the info. So from what you are saying, only people with above 3.93 gpa and 4 on the interview are given offers on the first day. Originally i had thought that anyone with a 4 regardless would get an admission offer. What if your gpa is not that high (ie 3.93) but still in the 3.8's?

so...wait...I need to get something clarified...

After the interview, your wGPA is used in conjunction with your interview mark to rank you accordingly? So that means that it isn't 100% interview scores at Ottawa...for some reason, I thought it was...

can anyone simplify this for me?

Yes, this is true. It's posted on the website.

About 40-60% of people will reject their english stream offers, the admissions office keeps a tally, and takes an average number, say 50. On May 15th, they offer a position to the first 152/550, and send the top 200/550 good waitlist emails, and everyone below that gets the bad waitlist. When the spots are filled, everyone who isn't admitted is considered rejected.

The high rejection of offers is because Ottawa accepts the same people as UT and Queens (which have a better name).

The rumors goes as the interview marks are graduated and quantized. 4.00, 3.75, 3.50, 3.25, 3.0, etc.

usually no one is getting less than 3.0.

the rumor also goes that the interview committee gives you a mark at the end of the day, not immediately after the interview. So if you are early in the day... you might considering going the extra mile to make an impression. To standardize the interview committees (so some committees won't accept significantly more candidates than others), they are probably restricted to giving out only 1.5 4.00 scores out of 6-7 interviews per day, and so on. This pushes the interviewers into a corner as many of them will end with very positive impressions of you at the end of the interview but are forced to somehow subjectively compare you vs. everyone else. But this will eliminate variability with so many interview groups and eliminate bias with large sample size. Chances are, if you are a strong candidate, you will shine through anyway, lots of people in my class had early morning interviews.

On may 15th, everyone with a 4.0 interview score and GPA >3.93 (or something like that because I know a few people off the waitlist on the first day of the first round of calls have GPA of 3.92) will be admitted instantly for english stream - 112 offers (as well as any native/MMTP people, which take priority, but not their waitlisted candidates).

by june 1st the waitlist will have started rolling towards the rest of the people with 4.0 interview scores. So although you don't know your waitlist number, it's easy to figure it out.

if your GPA is like 3.98, and you are on the waitlist, you are on the bottom half of the list but near the middle. If your GPA is 3.7 and you are a grad student, you are on top of the wait list if your interview score was 4.0, and on the bottom if your interview score is 3.75.

So forget your GPAs for now and focus on the interviews skillz, a 4.0 is a sure ticket into Ottawa one way or another.

Hey, this was very interesting information.

Are suggesting that like 25-30% of interviewees get a 4 (if they are to give 112 offers on May 15th)?

Do you have any idea what the distribution of interview scores is like? I was assuming it would be more normal shaped. I guess you're saying most people are getting 4's and 3.75s?

I guess this also implies that if you get a 3.5 interview score, you're going to be very low on the waitlist.

sigh... use your intuitive math skillz people...

for a detailed discussion, read everything on last year's threads about the good/bad waitlist and where you think you might be based on your wGPA... that topic has been discussed to death.

Your are sorted by interview score first and wGPA second

Initial offers will include native MMTP CNFS to a maximum of their respective spots without interview score or wGPA limits (that means some will have sub-4.00 interview scores, this disadvantages the regular english stream kids during initial offers, but since those are "special" programs... concessions must be made for them)

Good waitlist means 70-80% chance of getting in... but the wGPA tiebreaker will disadvantage grad students ottawa students, etc, which is why no MMTP, native, or CNFS ever makes it off the waitlist... their wGPAs are simply too low...

which is why no MMTP, native, or CNFS ever makes it off the waitlist... their wGPAs are simply too low...

Hum, just to make things clear : CNFS students are NOT in competition with other applicants, neither pre-interview OR post-interview (unless this changed in the past year). The only way someone from CNFS can get off the waitlist is if someone in the CNFS group refuses an admissions offer. They have their own waitlist.

Hum, just to make things clear : CNFS students are NOT in competition with other applicants, neither pre-interview OR post-interview (unless this changed in the past year). The only way someone from CNFS can get off the waitlist is if someone in the CNFS group refuses an admissions offer. They have their own waitlist.

Julie you seem to be an expert... people, Julie has the subject matter jurisdiction on this, lol... I just came to the conclusions I did because there isn't a maximum of CNFS students in my class...

Archived