Premed 101 Forums

elective time

HI, i was wondering if programs will look unfavorably at students without many electives. What i mean is that at some schools, there is far less pre-carms elective time than at other schools. As a result, we can't get the opportunity to do as many electives in as many fields and in as many programs as an applicant from another school.

however, of course, we spend more time in core rotations. But i'm guessing programs directors don't view core rotations as representative of interest level.

Will this be a disadvantage because i might end up doing only one elective in a certain subject i'm interested in, while a student at another school does 2 electives. Will the program look and think that i'm not really that interested? (especially if it is a backup specialty).

hopefully my question makes sense.

Yes, yes it does.

Do more electives in the thing you want to do than in other things. Less electives = less interest = less interviews.

If you really want something, go past the administrative help straight to the doctors themselves. The admins will turn you away if elective time is "full", but if you get a doc on your side, then the admins can't do shyt. MD>>>>>BA from Trent.

As you can tell Im very peed off becasue I did not take this step and thus did not receive many electives in the thing I want. I suck on paper. Im good clinically. I interviewed at places i rotated through and thats not because they interview everyone who rotates through. Its because I rock.

I'd keep in mind that program directors have been doing this year after year and have some concept of the programs at the schools in Canada and would have some idea of how much elective time schools provide or at least that different schools offer different amounts. In addition, on your carms application you state how long each elective you do is. You can't worry about the things you can't change. It'll drive you nuts. Just try to make yourself the best applicant you can. Also, at my interviews it was usually the electives I did in other specialties that I ended up talking about. They are still really valuable experiences that I wouldn't have done any differently.

• 2 weeks later...

So...if i am interested in a competitive specialty....is it, in your opinions, better to do many electives in that specialty and thus risk not getting into anywhere (since all other programs I apply to will look and see that their's is likely a backup), or should I spread myself out more evenly in terms of electives.

Then....I use other ways to show my interest in my 1st choice field (eg. research, student interest groups).

thanks

Archived