Premed 101 Forums

Mon francais est faible; ca va creer des problemes?

I guess you would have to pass the french test as well, since you've studied in an english institution. If you can pass the Test de francais international, and if you can do well in the interview,...yes, you can definitely take a shot at it. I would suggest to check out the sample of the test online (i think there is a sample on UdM's website or even on ETS' website....ETS is the third party company who offers the test). If you think you can get 875/950 (which is the passing mark, I believe), then try! However, im not sure if you have applied already, but the deadline to apply at UdM atleast was Feb 1st. And the next date you can take the french test is Feb 28 (atleast in ontario)

I'm an anglophone student currently studying medicine at UdeM. I attended an English public high school, followed by an English Cegep. Apart from the weekly obligatory French courses, I did not obtain much instruction in the language. I never thought I would end up attending a French school...that is, until it was my only option.

I suggest that you apply; make sure to pass that French test, because it really isn't as easy as the French students might make it seem. And as for the interview, relax; they aren't judging your quality of French (which was already examined when you previously wrote the test!), but rather your character. So be open, be smart, and don't be scared to talk despite your weakness in French.

I applied to the French schools not thinking much of it. But after I was refused from all the English schools I realized that the little time I took to apply ended up allowing me to pursue my career in medicine. Oh, and as for how hard it is to study in the language, don't worry: 1) You'll get better and better as you go 2) You'll probably be looking up all the French terms in English (for your own understanding), which will give you a good base in two languages AND 3) You'll find English speaking people like me!

Its true that in McGill the admission process is not devided this way: 50/50 grades/interview... its like a 200% : 100 for the grades, another for the interview...

They put a cut off (based on reference letters, Extracurricular, etc.)

after the cut off u go back to round zero, they forget about ur grades and do the next try out depending on one and only thing: THE INTERVIEW

(of course extracurricular will still have an influence there but at least if u had the lowest GPA after the cutoff, u have the same chance as the highest one form it!!)

So, Good luck:)

• 7 months later...

So, in summary, it would seem you need to acqauaint yourself with the French test. More importantly, have a French techingprofessional make an assessment of the Frnech test andof your French to determine what you need to learn within the time availab le before the test. And find yourself a French speaking mate who has no English. Immersing yourself in French between now and Feb. may well affect the rest of your life. Bonne chance!

Archived