Premed 101 Forums

Electronics engineer to medical school

Hello :

I am an electronics engineer planning to go to medical school to pursue my life-long dream of becoming a doctor. So far, I have begun by taking pre-requisites in organic chemistry from continuing education because U of Ottawa said that they accept pre-requisites taken as part of continuing education. However, I do not whether or not other universities do. I have contacted other universities, but they are not very responsive. If anyone has been through a similar path as mine, I would appreciate the following general advice :

1. Do universities accept pre-requisites taken as part of continuing education?

2. Is a second degree needed in biological sciences needed? Or is a graduate degree needed?

Any other input to be successful in this long path would be welcome too.

It doesn't matter when you take the prereqs, or how you do it.

What was your GPA on your degree? That is probably the most important initial question :) Many schools don't even have prerequisites at all. If it is high enough you should already be applying.

You DO NOT need a degree in biomedical science, or grad work. Schools do not care what your degree is in. They care about your GPA.

Hello :

I am an electronics engineer planning to go to medical school to pursue my life-long dream of becoming a doctor. So far, I have begun by taking pre-requisites in organic chemistry from continuing education because U of Ottawa said that they accept pre-requisites taken as part of continuing education. However, I do not whether or not other universities do. I have contacted other universities, but they are not very responsive. If anyone has been through a similar path as mine, I would appreciate the following general advice :

1. Do universities accept pre-requisites taken as part of continuing education?

2. Is a second degree needed in biological sciences needed? Or is a graduate degree needed?

Any other input to be successful in this long path would be welcome too.

• 2 weeks later...

3.63 isn't too competitive if you're going for a school where they don't allow for any weighting (ie. McMaster).

However, if you've taken a full course load every year of your undergrad, you're eligible to have your 4 lowest full course marks dropped, so your GPA would likely end up being higher. I heard 3.80+ wGPA for U of T is generally where you need to be to at least have some sort of shot an interview.

Western asks that you have at least a 3.75 GPA in two of your four years.

Queens used to post a four year cumulative GPA cutoff of 3.68 or 3.78 for your most recent two years. Now however, they don't publish the specific GPA that you need to make the cutoffs, but the word is that they are fairly similar.

Archived