Premed 101 Forums

Schedule of Physician Benefits - How much a physician makes for a given procedure

I found an interesting link if you're curious as to how much your family physician bills per consult (many different types) or even how much a gynaecologist bills per delivery. It covers all specialities in Ontario: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/sob/physserv/physserv_mn.html

Family physicians:

A005 Consultation. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 56.10

A905 Limited consultation. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44.65

Labour - Delivery:

# P006 Vaginal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 445.75

# P018 Caesarean section . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 514.85

Anyway, it's all meaningless (at least to me) unless you've had the chance to experience these things.

To be fair, that's not what the doctor makes (i.e. he doesn't put that in his pocket). It's what he is paid, then he has to turn around and cover his overhead, pay nurses salaries, etc.

Yeah, true. I guess what the physician bills from the government would be more correct.

Ya, the extra $70 or whatever isn't worth it.

The "after midnight" bonus definitely is, though (+50%?). You'll almost never see a c-section start at 23h55. Either the surgeon or the anaesthesiologist will have to use the washroom, grab a bite to eat, or just have the irresistable urge to take a walk for about five minutes...

Ya, the extra $70 or whatever isn't worth it.

The "after midnight" bonus definitely is, though (+50%?). You'll almost never see a c-section start at 23h55. Either the surgeon or the anaesthesiologist will have to use the washroom, grab a bite to eat, or just have the irresistable urge to take a walk for about five minutes...

That's hilarious.

Depends on what kind of hospital it is. If it's a teaching hospital, they may be on salary and not responsible for overhead. In the "community" it's more likely to be simply fee-for-service, but I'm not sure how much overhead they'd be responsible for. I have to say, I don't know much about this yet!

do all doctors pay overhead? ie, how about surgeons, internal medicine, and others who work out of a hospital.

Depends on the specialty and practice pattern. For example, no surgeon spends 100% of his/her time operating. (S)he will have a clinic as well, for consults and follow-ups. Clinic space may or may not be included as part of the doc's compensation (esp in an academic centre, as A-Stark mentioned), or the doc may rent space in an office building or in the hospital itself.

Off the top of my head,the "socks and underwear specialties" (as in the hospital will provide everything else, including patients) are anaesthesia, radiology, pathology, ER, hospitalist.

Archived