Premed 101 Forums

From Paramedic To MD

Your route wouldn't be any different from anyone else's - you'd just have to make sure you've got a good GPA, at least 3 years of university (ideally, a BA or BS), write the MCAT and do well, take pre-requisite courses (a good chunk of courses in the medic program will probably count, you can take the rest PT or distance), and make sure you've got some good ECs. Being a paramedic will be a bonus, as you're going to be dealing with patients constantly, and actually doing meaningful work (whereas with volunteer jobs, it's a crapshoot). But in the end, it won't mean a drastically different path to becoming an MD.

I was thinking: go to Centennial College, become a paramedic, work for a few years, then apply for the paramedicine program at UTSC. The paramedicine program provides pretty much the same courses as the life sciences, no?

Yes. The UTSC is a good program. It combines the college program with a science degree at U of T, and takes only 4 years to complete both.

There are a few advantages to registering in the UTSC program from the start. If you are registered in the degree program, all of your marks from Centennial will count toward your med school application, since you will registered in a university program. Scheduling of the U of T courses is difficult after you are working (shift work). Most classes are offered three days a week for one hour each (plus labs). Trying to work these classes around your work schedule can be hard (though not impossible). If, however, you start your science program at the beginning, you will have many of the 3 day a week courses done before you start work. (You are eligible for your paramedic certification at the end of year 3 of the program.)

One of the main advantages of completing the Centennial program before starting the UTSC program is that you pay college tuition rather than university tuition for those two years.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

I will offer some input, seeing how I will be finished my Paramedic diploma in May.

Overall, I have enjoy the experienced quite extensively. During the program, you will learn lots of information about the human body, disease processes, and the pathophysiology of acute conditions that are likely to be deemed a medical emergency. Things such as heart attacks, respiratory distress, and anaphylaxis, just to name a few. The best feature of the program is the patient interaction. My clinical rideouts began first semester, allowing me to experience patient contact quite early and to find whether or not it would be an ideal career for me. Nearing the end of the program, you will become symptom relief certified and be authorized to use a semi automatic defibrillator; this will allow you to effectively treat patients and their presenting conditions in your last clinical practicum, which is really quite neat to see the drugs take an effect, and all the theory to be put into practice.

I will be attending a university in September with the hopes of, one day, attending a medical school. It is possible. If you are unsure about your desire to become a physician, but feel that you would love to be a paramedic, take the course. I was in the same predicament. The program really helped me to realize that I do enjoy learning about the body, and I do enjoy treating patients, and I would love to become a physician.

Thanks Jochi, elaine, and HighContrast for your replies.

@HighContrast, thanks for giving me some insight on the Paramedic side of things. That is what I was thinking all the time. Maybe become a Paramedic, see if I like it, if not, then shoot for physician.

Why not just do the paramedicine degree right away?

Because I heard that it's a really hard program. It could really take a toll on your GPA. And besides, I didn't take Advanced Functions, just Data Management in highschool, so they wouldn't accept me. (I'm NOT going back to highschool lol)

I'm currently in the 12th grade and going to (hopefully) graduate this year. I applied to centennial college for the paramedic program and still awaiting reply. My question is this: If, later in my life, I want to become a doctor, what would I have to do. Is it even possible?

Thanks

Does centennial college count as a university?

Does centennial college count as a university?

No. However, Centennial College has a joint BSc in Paramedicine through the University of Toronto Scarborough. In four years, you earn both your 2 year paramedicine diploma and your 4 year BSc. You are considered a U of T student while taking courses at Centennial. All your tuition, etc is paid to U of T rather than Centennial.

Elaine

No. However, Centennial College has a joint BSc in Paramedicine through the University of Toronto Scarborough. In four years, you earn both your 2 year paramedicine diploma and your 4 year BSc. You are considered a U of T student while taking courses at Centennial. All your tuition, etc is paid to U of T rather than Centennial.

Elaine

My understanding is that U of T would only count your 2 years of university courses when applying (I.e. so your marks must be stellar as you don't get a chance to redeem yourself here). The 2 CC years (Paramedic diploma program) are not factored into your GPA. I could be wrong, but that's what I assumed.

?

My understanding is that U of T would only count your 2 years of university courses when applying (I.e. so your marks must be stellar as you don't get a chance to redeem yourself here). The 2 CC years (Paramedic diploma program) are not factored into your GPA. I could be wrong, but that's what I assumed.

?

It depends how you do the program. If you start by taking the college paramedic program, and then enroll in the UTSC degree program, you are correct. Med schools will only consider your university courses. However, if you enroll in the 4 year combined program, all of your courses are considered university courses (coded differently, handled different by your instructors), and they will all count toward your degree.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Elaine

Just another question :D

Say, for example, I finished the two year paramedic course at Centennial. What would I have to do if I wanted to go one step further), and try to become a physician (take Life Sciences, for example, in university).

What are the steps involved?

In order to enter medical school, you need at least 3 years of university (or 4, depending upon the medical school). Most university programs won't count your college program, which means that you would have to complete 3-4 years of university. However, there are a few programs in Canada that give you two years of credit for your college paramedic program:

- UTSC BSc in Paramedicine (only Centennial paramedic grads though)

- University of Ontario Institute of Technology Bachelor of Allied Sciences

- Ryerson University Bachelor of Health Administration

- Athabasca Unviersity BSc in Human Sciences

I did the Ryerson program. It was terrific. However, had the UOIT program been available at the time, I likely would have given it strong consideration as well.

Note that the Athabasca program, while a 4 year degree, is not an honours degree, which means you would not be eligible for Western's med school.

Elaine

It depends how you do the program. If you start by taking the college paramedic program, and then enroll in the UTSC degree program, you are correct. Med schools will only consider your university courses. However, if you enroll in the 4 year combined program, all of your courses are considered university courses (coded differently, handled different by your instructors), and they will all count toward your degree.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Elaine

Wow, thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that they would *not* transfer regardless.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
In order to enter medical school, you need at least 3 years of university (or 4, depending upon the medical school). Most university programs won't count your college program, which means that you would have to complete 3-4 years of university. However, there are a few programs in Canada that give you two years of credit for your college paramedic program:

- UTSC BSc in Paramedicine (only Centennial paramedic grads though)

Thanks for your replies :)

So, just to clarify, you're saying that if I successfully complete the paramedic course @ Centennial, THEN do the Paramedicine course at U of T, med schools would accept that?

Thanks for your replies :)

So, just to clarify, you're saying that if I successfully complete the paramedic course @ Centennial, THEN do the Paramedicine course at U of T, med schools would accept that?

Yes, med schools would accept that, because you'd have a Honours BSc in Paramedicine from UTSC. If you complete the college diploma before the degree program, your college marks will not count toward your med school application. If, however, you complete the programs simultaneously (by registering in the UTSC Paramedic Program), all your marks (including your Centennial College courses) will be listed as U of T courses, and thus will count toward your med school application.

Elaine

Archived