Premed 101 Forums

Have the number of seats increased?

Hi,

I think this was referred to in a previous post, but just to clarify, have they increased the number of spots for the upcoming class?

Jen

No.

This year's class: (from http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UGME/admissions/dofm_selection.cfm )

The Admissions Committee currently receives approximately 1300 - 1500 applications and selects 142 students for admission in the regular quota; 5 Aboriginal and 8 Rural.

Last year's stats: (from http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UGME/admissions/dofm_stats.cfm )

Total Quota Positions Available 142

I have heard that they are increasing their number of spots like U of C (up to around 180). U of C hasn't said anything about this on their website either but the rumors have been around forever (backed up by current students)

Confirmed by 2 doctors I know who teach at the UofC.

There will be a seat increase. Originally, a few months back, before the economic crisis really hit, there was a relatively good chance that the number of seats were going to be increased by 30, with word being that the funding for these seats were 'relatively secure'.

However, considering the 1B deficit and not-so-good long term forecast for the government's coffers, there will still be an increase in seats, but it is very likely (although I am not 100% certain) that the seat increase will be cut. Consider this - it costs ~$100 000 CAD a year to train a medical student, as quoted by faculty. Consider the fact that an increase of 30 seats will require, at minimum, an investment of $12 million to train students occupying those extra 30 seats, and you will see what it is so difficult to sell such a large seat increase to the government.

There are additional logistical issues of increasing the class size by that amount, which will require additional money to resolve, which again presents the simple problem of funding.

With this said, I have not heard any firm numbers regarding the projected class size for the Class of 2013. This is simply a "best guess" based on what I am aware of.

i'd just be intrigued how 228 or so med/dent students would fit in katz. unless we're breaking up with the dentists.

Word has it that there will be a satellite classroom in Katz, if worst comes to worst. IIRC, however, we should still have spots for roughly 10 more students in the theatre, assuming everyone shows up for class :)

Today at the UofA there was a seminar about the upcoming med interviews. The seminar was put on by Dr. Bagnel.

Dr. Bagnel is THE person in charge of the Med interviews and works very closely with those in charge of admissions.

In the seminar today he said there will be 188 students accepted into the Med class of 2013.

Though you should not always "believe everything that you hear", I believe when it comes from a credible source, such as Dr. Bagnel, and flyers produced BY the UofA, you should not be so quick to dismiss it....

and sorry to tell you, but 188 people in the next u of a med class is not happening. i wouldn't believe everything that you hear being tossed around. i would say that there will likely be 166 acceptaces at u of a in the class of 2013.

Archived