Premed 101 Forums

Any thoughts?

I am an Honours English grad and I have applied to medical schools the last two years (after taking some science courses post graduation) and I have not received an invitation for interview (still waiting on U of T). I have good ECs, and volunteer work, but my GPA isn't super competitive at a 3.6. I have applied to Journalism Masters programs as well, as I thought this may be my last attempt at application to med, but I realized recently that I really want a career in healthcare.

I applied to several accelerated nursing programs, and I am re-taking the MCAT to make my score more competitive. I am thinking about an MPH after I complete my nursing degree should I not succeed in my next med application.

Does anyone think nursing is a good alternative route? Will this strengthen my med application?

Working as a nurse would definitely give you a lot of great experience in health care. Just be careful not to offend people by giving the impression that you're using it as a stepping stone toward MD. And who knows? You might discovery that you'd rather be a nurse than a physician.

This is an experience that will offer you insight into medicine that few of your competitors will have. Something to watch out for, though, is that from what I've gathered from friends and other posters on this site is that there is a considerable amount of animosity towards MDs in nursing programs. That being said, I have no doubts that if you're truly interested in medicine, you'll be able to get your GPA well beyond the 'competitive' level.

Archived