Premed 101 Forums

IFMS bilateral exchange

• 3 weeks later...

hmm...maybe this is a lil too late, but here is my take on the program. The program itself is very country/year specific due to the student run nature of the programs. Meaning from year to year it's going to be different depending on which country and which students helped to organize your exchange. I did the bilateral exchange, which is the one I would recommend, b/c this way you don't have to worry about finding a place to live or paying insane amts of money to stay in another country. I looked forward to another person coming to stay with me, however when she found out she was going to Saskatoon (she was from UK london) she pulled out.

Jamaica was amazing!!! I did emergency there, but I wandered through the hospital from OR to obgyn to internal. I hung out with a lot of med students. Visited tons of beaches, backpacked, went to lots of dancehall parties. The medicine there is very raw, lots of gunshots, stabbings, really advanced cancers. It's very two tiered medicine as well, the rich stay in the private wing, the poor wait in non A/C waiting rooms for a whole day. overall I was impressed with the fun..and not so much the preceptors. They tend to not really teach unless you get hyper aggressive about it. If you are a female be prepared to be hit on by every male between the ages of 12 and 60.

Archived