Premed 101 Forums

Paying for US med school

n00b

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest copacetic
I dunno...but I'm pretty sure someone I know got an osap loan for ~15,000 dollars to go to school in Canada (grad school) so you should be able to get that much or more. It probably wouldn't cover all of the tuition for the U.S. but that's still a substantial amount. If you go through the whole application process online it gives you an estimate at the end. You have to have your tax info handy though (I haven't done that for the U.S. but I did it for grad school last year, which is why I know about the estimate thing)

maximum rate for osap abroad is 210 CAD/week of study. typically this works out to about 8800 for most people.

One question I have: are there any ramifications down the road when you borrow money in Canada to go to med school in the US, followed by practicing in the US? I'm wondering if you lose the opportunity to claim interest payments for tax purposes when the money was borrowed in another country?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest copacetic
Are these student loans that have been discussed also available for Canadian permanent residents or only citizens?

for both. a canadian permanent resident has pretty much all the rights and privileges of a canadian citizen except the right to vote.

Archived