Premed 101 Forums

Match Day!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone,

can someone please comment on the Lab Med & (Anatomo)Path matches this year ?

Is it getting more "competitive" ? (i.e., given the small number of spots, I figure that even a slightly higher interest in one particular CaRMS year could make for a tighter match...?)

Thank you very much

Don't know about the numbers this year, but there are still spots left in Lab Medicine/Path this year in the second round at a number of schools (e.g. UofA, Dal, Calgary, Queen's). List of 2nd Round Spots.

I think some people back up with Path, so that might inflate the numbers and make it seem more "competitive" than it actually would be for someone whose top choice is Lab Medicine.

It did SEEM more competitive this year but I think this is because of the usual number of people applying to Path plus more people backing up with it as the specialty becomes more high profile. My impression is that most people got their #1 choice. 3 schools with very good programs (U of A, U of C and Dal) all had unmatched spots. Given all that I don't think this year was any more competitive than previous. However gone are the days where you could get your #1 choice by applying to Path as a last minute decision. All the #1 choices this year were people who had done lots of electives, done research and had strong Path references.

I will comment that the one unusual thing this year is that there was more people for Med Micro.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
First of all, congratulations to all CaRMS applicants. For those who haven't matched, hang in there and don't lose hope. Keep up the fight!

A few comments about the match :

1) Surgery is getting less attractive to people? (not that surprising if true. Guess med students are getting smarter, just kidding)

2) Cardiac surgery is close to cardiac arrest. I don't see the job situation getting any better for the next decade or so (unlike in neurosurgery, there are actually cardiac surgeons out there without a job. Outrageous!)

2) Neurosurgery is back on the map! I would be worried about matching had I applied this year. Strong serious applicants all around. Still perplexed about UWO's remaining spot (1st tier program imo).

2) Not really. There were issues in the last 5 years, but manpower studies show a huge wave of retirement during next decade. It's a 6-10 year training period, so if you're good, you'll get a spot at the end of training. You'll be in demand, actually. Moreover, recent trials confirm CABGs aren't going anywhere, which has been the big concern of late.

• 1 month later...

Hi Silver Squirrel,

Path was my first choice discipline but I didn't match to my 1st-choice location though.

A friend of mine who applied only in anatomical path actually went unmatched.

Overall, my interviewers told me this was the most competitive year for Path in a long time, especially in Quebec where we had at least 20 serious applicants (2 from Montreal, 2-3 from Laval, 2 from Sherbrooke, 8 from McGill and 5 foreign-trained pathologists / residents) for 9 spots for the entire province.

The numbers didn't change, but I think the interest in Path both as a 1st choice and a back-up probably increased those last years.

Needless to say I didn't match in Quebec.

Archived