Premed 101 Forums

Match Day!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else not have any luck?

To add insult to injury, the 2nd round is dismal! Did you see what's available?! It's pathetic!

Where do we see the results? All I can see is a link requiring a username/password which I don't have (not applying to CaRMS until 2011!)

It's mostly crap in the 2nd round.

Is there some sort of gag order that would stop me from listing the spots?

Now I gotta figure out what to do next. I am in far too much debt to just walk away. Maybe I'll just keep doing the first round until I'm old and gray hahaha. In the meantime I'll work as a dishwasher at some restaurant downtown that needs one. At least I won't be on call to wash the dishes!

It's kind of funny though. I don't really feel disappointed, nor do I feel anger. Its more like I wasted a lot of time - ten years to be exact - and could keep wasting it by trying to get a residency spot, but now that I have my answer I can finally just stop and concentrate on other, more fulfilling, things. It's more of a feeling of surrendering. I hate it.

Now I gotta figure out what to do next. I am in far too much debt to just walk away. Maybe I'll just keep doing the first round until I'm old and gray hahaha. In the meantime I'll work as a dishwasher at some restaurant downtown that needs one. At least I won't be on call to wash the dishes!

It's kind of funny though. I don't really feel disappointed, nor do I feel anger. Its more like I wasted a lot of time - ten years to be exact - and could keep wasting it by trying to get a residency spot, but now that I have my answer I can finally just stop and concentrate on other, more fulfilling, things. It's more of a feeling of surrendering. I hate it.

What specialties did you rank, BlackJack?

I don't think there's a gag order to prevent you from listing the unfilled spots since CaRMS will make that available on their website in a few days.

Good luck and hope things work out for you !:)

Same here. Didnt match, feel the same way, and wondering if there are other things to do with an MD. :(

That was a roller coaster ride. Most people were happy, some people were really happy, and some were not-so-happy. Some people somewhat unexpectedly matched to extremely competitive programs (not undeserving though), while others you thought were "shoo-ins" did not. But med students are a secretive bunch, so you never know what was on their cv and applications, in addition to how the interview went.

It's difficult to understand how some managed to win the lottery while others ended up very unhappy.

Yeah, it happens.

If people win, other people gotta lose. It's life.

I can dress it up all I want, but the reality is that I will never be doing what I really want to do. I have the black-cloud of not matching circling around me like a stink. If I reapply, they'll know. If I apply to something else, they'll know. I have been penalized for having an ambition. My academic and professional records are great. Yet, at this point they amount to very little. Being unmatched will always follow me and I will always be judged negatively for it - at least here in Canada. People rarely recover from this situation to get back on track to their primary goal. They have to find new, often less desirable, tracks. Sure, you have rare success stories like Ian's, but for the most part the unmatched are just screwed.

I could eschew the 2nd round (which by the way is extreme crap this year - worst I've seen in 4 years) and reapply to CaRMS (with a statistical success rate approaching zero) and the USA (contingent on step scores, which may very well blow) next year. But what to do in the meantime? Try to piggyback on some research project? Ha! Like that ever does anything. Travel? With what money? Get a job? With what experience and ability?

A small part of me just wants to say **** it and take whatever's available. I will not have to claw my way up this pathological medical hierarchy anymore. Life will be easier. A bigger part of me is saying that's what losers do, and if I do that I stay in the losers' club.

Now the only thing on my mind is getting out of this debt before the interest accumulates to castration levels. But how? Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet.

I should have gone into law. Maybe after my debts are paid off, I will.

My heartfelt thoughts go out to those who didn't match or who didn't get their desired speciality/location. As a second year student, I can only imagine how difficult this must be. It also scares me, as I'm sure all of you are excellent candidates.

I recently came back from a family medicine continuing medical education conference, and I was struck by how diverse the practice of family medicine can be. For those that didn't match, is it not feasible to apply, in the 2nd round, for a family medicine spot someplace and then tailor one's practice to something else (sports med, emerg, derm, obs/gyn, minor surg, psych, palliative, etc)?

At the very least, one could work as a family doc and then decide to retrain in another speciality (I know of at least two family docs that are in the process of retraining, both of whom are in a Radiology residency program. Not sure about ROS committments...). To be honest, I don't know how successfully people can do this re-training, but it certainly is an option, no?

Where do we see the results? All I can see is a link requiring a username/password which I don't have (not applying to CaRMS until 2011!)
they're up on the CaRMS site. go to "main match", then "program info" then "program descript" then "second iter"

good luck to those in the 2nd round !

Wow nothing left for UT? And so many internal spots for UBC? How come their program is so unpopular? Hmm....

hmmm ... i know at least 1 person in my class that applied to Int Med at UBC and it was by far their first choice ... but unfortunately, they didn't even get an interview. It's a shame to see so many unfilled spots now in their program!

Archived