Premed 101 Forums

Match Day!

Yea I agree, I'm surprised too. But that being said, you can also note that there's often only ONE spot leftover in some schools and if location is important, then you could potentially be fighting w/ >>>> 1 person(s) for that ONE spot.

And also, it doesn't matter what the variety is if your heart is set on something.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm ... i know at least 1 person in my class that applied to Int Med at UBC and it was by far their first choice ... but unfortunately, they didn't even get an interview. It's a shame to see so many unfilled spots now in their program!

Eek, probably the program director/admission committee being too overly confident that their program is popular?

Where can you see the stats for previous years? Nvm, found it, but this may be of interest to everyone:

http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_e.shtml

What's the deal with UBC internal?? Is the program THAT bad? Sure, a program-director can get cocky, but cocky enough to leave FIFTEEN spots unfilled? Unlikely.

Does that indicate a malignant program? Or is it just a typo?

If anyone with any knowledge of the inner workings of UBC internal med wants to comment, please do! If you don't want to compromise your identity, PM me and I'll paraphrase anything you say on the forums, or should not posting anything that you tell me be your wish, I will comply.

What's the deal with UBC internal?? Is the program THAT bad? Sure, a program-director can get cocky, but cocky enough to leave FIFTEEN spots unfilled? Unlikely.

Does that indicate a malignant program? Or is it just a typo?

If anyone with any knowledge of the inner workings of UBC internal med wants to comment, please do! If you don't want to compromise your identity, PM me and I'll paraphrase anything you say on the forums, or should not posting anything that you tell me be your wish, I will comply.

nevermind........

If you're looking at something surgical, then second round is pretty good compared to previous years.

Yes, it depends on what you are interested in. There seems to be a lot of gen surg spots left.

Toronto filled all their spots. I'm surprised at UBC internal medicine too. I'm a bit curious as to what happened there as I haven't heard anything particularly negative about the program from people who interviewed there.

Re: UBC Internal Med

It was a combination of overconfidence/miscalculation and a (undeservedly) bad rep of the program out east. They didn't interview a lot of perfectly qualified candidates even from UBC and many of those they did interview were backing up with IM. Hopefully this won't happen again next year. The program is pretty decent so it's too bad this happened.

UBC IM program directors have been way too cocky

Last year they had 3-4 spots left, and they did not learn their lesson

This year is 15 - what an embarrassment.

They think they can pick the best candidates and these candidates will choose them based on location.

Unfortunately Vancouver is getting way too expensive, and in this poor economic time, people are choosing money over location.

And then the best candidates on paper often have something else they want to do besides IM, such as rad, derm, ophthal, ENT etc - the cushy lifestyle ones.

First of all, congratulations to all CaRMS applicants. For those who haven't matched, hang in there and don't lose hope. Keep up the fight!

A few comments about the match :

1) Surgery is getting less attractive to people? (not that surprising if true. Guess med students are getting smarter, just kidding)

2) Cardiac surgery is close to cardiac arrest. I don't see the job situation getting any better for the next decade or so (unlike in neurosurgery, there are actually cardiac surgeons out there without a job. Outrageous!)

2) Neurosurgery is back on the map! I would be worried about matching had I applied this year. Strong serious applicants all around. Still perplexed about UWO's remaining spot (1st tier program imo).

First of all, congratulations to all CaRMS applicants. For those who haven't matched, hang in there and don't lose hope. Keep up the fight!

A few useless comments about the match :

1) Surgery is getting less attractive to people? (not that surprising if true. Guess med students are getting smarter, just kidding)

2) Cardiac surgery is close to cardiac arrest. I don't see the job situation getting any better for the next decade or so (unlike in neurosurgery, there are actually cardiac surgeons out there without a job. Outrageous!)

2) Neurosurgery is back on the map! Even Vancouver filled its 2 spots this year. I honestly wouldn't have matched if I had applied this year. Strong serious applicants all around. Still perplexed about UWO's remaining spot (1st tier program imo).

To reply:

1) This is the same trend that is happening in the USA. The lifestyle of general surgery is too hardcore for the new crop of medical students who value their life/work balances.

2) Tell me about it! I know of an unemployed cardiac surgeon. He's doing general internal medicine somewhere, and longs for the OR everyday.

3) Neurosurgery. I really can't see anyone going for that in the 2nd round if they did not have any interest in it previously. It is the most hardcore of the hardcore surgery spots, what with its PhD requirements and all - not the most attractive "backup".

There you have it!

It was a combination of overconfidence/miscalculation and a (undeservedly) bad rep of the program out east. They didn't interview a lot of perfectly qualified candidates even from UBC and many of those they did interview were backing up with IM. Hopefully this won't happen again next year. The program is pretty decent so it's too bad this happened.

UBC's IM reputation isn't great out west either. It's seen as a great city with a sub-par program. Whether or not it deserves this reputation or not is up for debate. They have a lot of bugs to work out. Attitude is definately a primary issue.

Queens IM program did even worse...they only filled 4/12 spots.

N.

definitely agree that they interviewed too many ppl who were backing up with IM instead of people who actually wanted to do IM !!!!!!!

Hey guys,

I'm also unmatched. I always thought my application was good, and that I was a good interviewer.

Here is where I get a little confused....

I ranked 9 family medicine programs!!!

Apparently it was a very competitive year for family medicine in Ontario. But if that were the case, I would have expected a lot more people to be unmatched...and that is not the case!

But really, I feel like I finally have an out from medicine! I am going to finish this MD degree, and do something COMPLETELY different! I have a huge loan to pay off, but I am thanking my lucky stars that I didn't transfer over to MD Management (which will make you start paying your loan back if you do not go into a residency position...whereas my financial institution will allow you to wait until you are finished school and have a job!)

I have finally given myself permission to stop doing something I knew wasn't right for me and for the first time in the past 4 years have finally made a decision that hasn't been influenced by what other people think I should do!

I am very happy with my decision! Although I have a big debt, I am young, 25 and for the first time in a LONG time I can finally say that the world is my oyster! I can finally pursue something that I feel passionate about!

I hope everyone had great match stories from the CaRMS match. And for those of you who didn't match, I hope you really turn inward and figure out what will give your life meaning! If that means going for the second match, then so be it, and give it your all. Or if that means taking time to figure out what is right for you, then go for it! You only have one life to live! Follow your dreams!

Ciao

I have no idea why i'm on this forum because i'll be finishing my residency in less than a year. But I thought i'd say a few things,..

I didn't match 1st round (long ago) and can remember how crappy it felt. I ended up matching in the 2nd round (another specialty). After the R1 year, I transferred programs, that is into my original specialty choice - and was able to do this successfully despite requiring extra years of funding.

I can honestly say that I'm glad how things worked out. Not only the end result - about to start a practice in the field I'm passionate about, but the route it took to get there. Sounds corny, but you really do grow personally from these experiences. Life may suck now but overcoming this challenge (or any other) more than compensates, trust me.

3 months into residency, the match will be forgotten. The hard work, real life, and gruelling call will begin ;)

UBC's IM reputation isn't great out west either. It's seen as a great city with a sub-par program. Whether or not it deserves this reputation or not is up for debate. They have a lot of bugs to work out. Attitude is definately a primary issue.

Queens IM program did even worse...they only filled 4/12 spots.

N.

I have my thoughts in why there were so many unmatched spots at ubc IM this year, but I'm really interested in what ubc's reputation is like in other provinces. Would you mind sharing what you've heard?

Archived