Premed 101 Forums

To the PM's I haven't got to asking about MMI tips.

surgimus

I've been asked a lot about ethical questions so my first blurb will be about that:

My first goal was to recognise what the ethical issue was and why it was ethically significant. The next step was figuring out what the important factors are that play a role in the question, that make it ethically significant. There are usually two significant things that weigh against eachother. A nice balanced approach after recognising this, is saying why either is ethically significant, and then stating factors that would support each side.I always picked a side and said why I chose that one. Some people also state their position earlier and then explain why. I guess I just prefered to lead my interviewer to my answer. I don't think it makes that much of a difference. My focusses by the time I was interviewing was making sure I felt comfortable speaking, and that I was connecting with whoever I was speaking to.

Even the ethical questions test a lot more than just ethics.

With enough time and the lack of pressure, anyone can spit out an amazing answer. The delivery of your answer is very very important. The interviewers are trying to gauge your ability to communicate your idea in a logical way, with effective communication skills, as well as showing strong qualities of character. You'd be surprised how important being polite is, there is even a check box for it. I thought confidence, authenticity, and good self awareness are good strengths to have, but I don't think they could really have a checkbox for those.

Other high gain methods of practice: Practicing answering questions while recording yourself on video. You can quickly pick out things you do that you don't mean to. I found meeting with people that rocked their interview in the past year was most useful to me.

Most people I've helped out do know the answer, they just make the interviewer work for it. Interviewers won't do that in the real thing. They are trained to give you heck/challenge you if you go wrong for the first few minutes, then totally mellow out and accept whatever answer you give them, good or bad. They won't guide you to the perfect answer, (to make it fair for all the applicants).

Another tipper, If you find yourself talking about science topics in depth, you've probably understood what the question is asking of you wrong.

A lot of the scenarios are clinical and have a fairly strong medical sciences base. This is frightening to many applicants, and they start trying to use their impressive knowledge/background of medical sciences to answer the question, because that is what they think the question is after. I think it is more important to work on process as opposed to content skills. Keeping your answer general, leaves you enough time to deal with other important aspects of the question, in a straight forward manner, without confusing the interviewer with a tangential discussion about an in depth science topic.

Archived