Premed 101 Forums

Bringing up interest of MD/PhD in med interview

It seems that the general trend of MD/PhD programs in Canada require you to be accepted into both medical and graduate school. They say to start medicine and within the first year or so of medical school inquire about the addition of a graduate degree. I'm wondering how the med adcom's feel about students who want to do a PhD alongside their medical training.

I've asked around some friends for their opinion on the issue, and I got two generally opposing answers:

1.) Could be a good idea. They might like that you're willing to invest an extra 5-6 years into their University and you could be a benefit to their research integrity.

2.) Could hurt you. What if your interviewers are are old-school conservative docs who see your interest in the MD/PhD and think "he doesn't REALLY want to do medicine"

what do you guys think?

2.) Could hurt you. What if your interviewers are are old-school conservative docs who see your interest in the MD/PhD and think "he doesn't REALLY want to do medicine"

what do you guys think?

I think that second statement is completely absurd. I have a hard time believing that any doctor would think that way.

I think that second statement is completely absurd. I have a hard time believing that any doctor would think that way.

The idea is absurd as a41 said. But do take heed OP.

I do share this story. A guy on SDN with a stellar application interviewed at case western for the MD program, and at the end of the interview the interviewer strongly recommended for teh applicant to apply to MD/PhD programs, NEXT CYCLE.

• 8 months later...
The idea is absurd as a41 said. But do take heed OP.

I do share this story. A guy on SDN with a stellar application interviewed at case western for the MD program, and at the end of the interview the interviewer strongly recommended for teh applicant to apply to MD/PhD programs, NEXT CYCLE.

well, my question is... why would you express interest in the MD/PhD program without applying to it?

i mean, if you went to a UWO interview (a school with an MD/PhD program) and say you wanted to pursue an MD/PhD, it might not look so well if you didn't apply.

as opposed to..

if you went to a Queen's interview (no MD/PhD program) and said you wanted to be a clinician/scientist in the future, it probably wouldn't look as bad :P i mean you'd probably want to support how you intended to do it through the Queen's curriculum - aka working in research during summers, etc

Archived