Premed 101 Forums

Engineering Science Student Thinking of Med School

Hello. I am a first year Engineering Science student at U of T. I recently gained interest in medical school, but I have no idea how to pave my path or if it is even possible. I have never thought about my future too much until now, so my research skills are poor.

I have only very recently (like today) started doing some preliminary research on the subject such as the MCAT and GPA requirements, but I am really interested in what I would need in terms of credits. So far I think I need:

1-2 one year biology courses with labs

2 one year chemistry courses with labs

physics + math

English/writing course

So my question is: are all of these necessary? Because unless I take the Biomed option in Engineering Science, I don't think I'll be encountering enough bio/chem.

Also, can these courses be courses from any year, or do they have to be third/fourth year courses? I am asking this because I do have one bio course right now, but it is first year and is basically targeting people who never took bio. in addition, I plan to take some summer courses, and I was wondering if taking Bio/Chem summer courses would help. Here is the available summer courses:

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/undergraduate/course/timetable/09summerprelim/20095prelimlistings/

I am interested in the CHM138H1 or BCH210H1, but I have to do some more research to see if this results in a reduced workload later on which will disqualify me from honors.

Lastly, does "full year biology course" mean one semester of study (since the course is semestered) or does it actually mean full year courses (from winter to end of summer)? If it does, how does my semestered or summer credits fit into the picture?

Now my grades are pretty good at the moment, but it has only been one semester. I currently have no volunteer experience, work experience, or club experience, which does not look good. I think that I am one of those people who just get marks in school but have no experiance in the real world, so I am hoping to change that.

Looking at some other posts, club involvement seems to help, so I am thinking of joining some clubs next school year since it is already too late this year. I do live downtown Toronto, so maybe I can try to apply for some sort of volunteering at one of the several hospitals near me. Other than that, I am not sure what my game plan should be for the next few years, or even this summer. Does anyone have any extra advice handy?

Thank you for your time.

Hi there!

First off all the courses you need are highly school specific - to maximize your chances it is logical to maximize the number of schools you can apply to. A lot of schools do have the prerequisites you mention.

I should also mention many schools require specifically one year of organic chemistry and course specifically in biochemistry. However this is again highly schools specific. Other schools don't have any prerequisites at all.

Pay attention to that GPA requirement in particular by the way in your program. Your degree program is not easy if I recall, and the GPA cut offs are not program specific. You will get no initial advantage by taking a harder program, although at the interview stage it might help!

A full year course would be two biology courses. You are completely free to take courses in the summer for prereqs. Remember you are not necessarily tied down to Toronto to do these - there are DE options for many of them to help get rid of biology/chem courses. There are quite a number of options there!

You are also VERY lucky - you have a medical school in your city. My advise would be to go find some med students at talk to them first off. They will help point you in the right direction volunteering wise. They will also know the pathway to help you get in to med school. I did this before I started going to school and it helped A LOT.

Good luck!

Hello. I am a first year Engineering Science student at U of T. I recently gained interest in medical school, but I have no idea how to pave my path or if it is even possible. I have never thought about my future too much until now, so my research skills are poor.

I have only very recently (like today) started doing some preliminary research on the subject such as the MCAT and GPA requirements, but I am really interested in what I would need in terms of credits. So far I think I need:

1-2 one year biology courses with labs

2 one year chemistry courses with labs

physics + math

English/writing course

So my question is: are all of these necessary? Because unless I take the Biomed option in Engineering Science, I don't think I'll be encountering enough bio/chem.

Also, can these courses be courses from any year, or do they have to be third/fourth year courses? I am asking this because I do have one bio course right now, but it is first year and is basically targeting people who never took bio. in addition, I plan to take some summer courses, and I was wondering if taking Bio/Chem summer courses would help. Here is the available summer courses:

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/undergraduate/course/timetable/09summerprelim/20095prelimlistings/

I am interested in the CHM138H1 or BCH210H1, but I have to do some more research to see if this results in a reduced workload later on which will disqualify me from honors.

Lastly, does "full year biology course" mean one semester of study (since the course is semestered) or does it actually mean full year courses (from winter to end of summer)? If it does, how does my semestered or summer credits fit into the picture?

Now my grades are pretty good at the moment, but it has only been one semester. I currently have no volunteer experience, work experience, or club experience, which does not look good. I think that I am one of those people who just get marks in school but have no experiance in the real world, so I am hoping to change that.

Looking at some other posts, club involvement seems to help, so I am thinking of joining some clubs next school year since it is already too late this year. I do live downtown Toronto, so maybe I can try to apply for some sort of volunteering at one of the several hospitals near me. Other than that, I am not sure what my game plan should be for the next few years, or even this summer. Does anyone have any extra advice handy?

Thank you for your time.

Archived