Premed 101 Forums

Residency.

Hello and thanks for all your reply... (and sorry for my english)... :o

I'm pretty sure that my question is not new at all. But... I don't find answer !

I'm in med school right now, in province of Quebec

I know that the CARMs don't take a look(??) to note anymore (the ROC is PASS/FAILED classes)... Only Quebec med school still have (A,B,C,D...) !? Somebody can confirm !?

Also... I'm really scared about grades... I came from university, with an electrical engineering degree and about the haft of a master in biomed on cardiac surgery validations methods... I published as first author couples of time and did few conferences on my subject in differents congress...

I want to do, in residency, radiology or cardiology (in fact... radiology with overspecialization in cardiac imaging) ... but I know (what I heard) that they needs really good grades... I'm really afraid... I'm working a lot but I barely get the average... :mad: !!! Seriously... is so discouraging me... ! With around B (3.0 /4.33) i'm currently freaking up !!! :(

Well... I have high respects for family medicine... but I want to do few research in cardiac/imaging domain... and don't want to consider my engineering background as a "entering ticket for med school"...:P

Thanks You !!

Dr.Poche (translation is Dr.Not good grades at all !!!)

Hello and thanks for all your reply... (and sorry for my english)... :o

I'm pretty sure that my question is not new at all. But... I don't find answer !

I'm in med school right now, in province of Quebec, within the first year.

I know that the CARMs don't take a look(??) to note anymore (the ROC is PASS/FAILED classes)... Only Quebec med school still have (A,B,C,D...) !? Somebody can confirm !?

Also... I'm really scared about grades... I came from university, with an electrical engineering degree and about the haft of a master in biomed on cardiac surgery validations methods... I published as first author couples of time and did few conferences on my subject in differents congress...

I want to do, in residency, radiology or cardiology (in fact... radiology with overspecialization in cardiac imaging) ... but I know (what I heard) that they needs really good grades... I'm really afraid... I'm working a lot but I barely get the average... :mad: !!! Seriously... is so discouraging me... ! I'm waiting for psychological help to optimize learning methods... Anyways... With around B (3.0 /4.33) i'm currently freaking up !!! :(

Well... I have high respects for family medicine... but I want to do few research in cardiac/imaging domain... and don't want to consider my engineering background as a "entering ticket for med school"...:P

Thanks You !!

Dr.Poche (translation is Dr.Not good grades at all !!!)

Wow, quebec school doesn't use H/F/P system?

Wow, quebec school doesn't use H/F/P system?

Nope they dont (not the french ones anyway) and pre-clerkship marks can count up to 50% in determining whether you get an interview (in radiology, for example).

But most programs its not weighted that highly.

To the OP, if radiology is your #1 choice (especially in Quebec) you will need to increase your marks. BUT dont worry too much about it, you will still have a shot no matter what and a good chance of doing cardiology or other specialties. Radiology just happens to be really competitive so marks are important.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am not sure how important marks would be outside of Quebec.

Best thing to do would be to ask the program directors of the schools you wish to apply to.

I mean if you are being compared to schools that have only pass/fail...they can't really penalize you for having a B average since they have no idea what the people that have just pass had for actual marks...who knows they could have done worse than you!

So talk to the people in the programs and see what they have to say.

Archived