Premed 101 Forums

What happens when you're interviewer isn't as up to date on current healthcare issues

Thejuice

Hey guys,

I recently had an MMI interview at calgary and during one of my questions, I started discussing using other healthcare professionals to optimize patient outcomes and minimize cost on the healthcare system.

While I was talking about it, I started talking about how using a pharmacist's ability to prescribe could streamline patient outcomes by having the pharmacist alter the dosage to get maximum efficacy and minimize side-effects. The ability to prescribe as a pharmacist is relatively new development (as of 2007) and very few people to seem to know about it. This is only allowed in Alberta. Anyways, my interviewer made some comments denying that this is possible. Despite trying to convince them, they didn't believe me and I think that they might have marked me down because they thought I was lying or making things up.

What can I do here?

P.S. If anyone doubts that this is true, see the Alberta College of Pharmacists standards of practice Standard 14 onwards at the link below.

https://pharmacists.ab.ca/nPharmacistResources/StandardsofPractice.aspx

I thought Ontario pharmacists could prescribe too. Wasn't there a whole thread on that recently?

Anyway, that's a tough one. Maybe someone else confirmed it for him later on. That's really awk though. My sympathies.

It's coming, but not yet, in ON (basic diagnosis/prescribing).

Man, that's seriously messed.

If this was me I'd contact the faculty of medicine ASAP. Be EXTREMELY polite, call them and just explain this. Worst comes to worst they'll say "sorry, we can't do anything." Best case, it saves your app. It's worth the effort IMO

Man, that's seriously messed.

If this was me I'd contact the faculty of medicine ASAP. Be EXTREMELY polite, call them and just explain this. Worst comes to worst they'll say "sorry, we can't do anything." Best case, it saves your app. It's worth the effort IMO

I'm kind of leaning this way too.

Explain your situation mention the station it was at... Best case scenario, they may do something about it if that station is largely off from your others scores....

But as Jamer said, just be polite.

You just tell them you must have read something incorrectly and apologize for being wrong. Might as well learn early that the attendings are always right ;)

It's so true. Sometimes you have to suck it up with the people who control your fate. Reminds me of how a while ago my partner at work didn't know what one of our medications was for (and we only have like 10, so not knowing stuff like that is totally unacceptable), so I told him as politely as I could what it was for (hello, a patient could die because of this issue). Couple of weeks later? "Jochi1543 has this attitude that she knows everything....":rolleyes:

So when my preceptor told me later on that "those drugs they give you when you have HIV, they kill off your immune system, and that's how HIV gets cured," I just said, "ohhhhhh, interesting!";)

That happened to me at practicum all the time. Someone would show me something and I'd feel all booksmart and say, "Oh yes, because ______". And they'd look at me blankly, so I'd say, "Well, that's what my textbook said.". Half the time it was news to them, but I don't think everyone ever straight up argued that I wrong. Most of the time they'd admit they're not completely sure why they do it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived