Premed 101 Forums

UT Interviews...how did they go?

What is your "past experience" with Dentistry? I hope that is not too sensitive of a question to ask.

The CDA has little say on what any school uses in accepting students. This can be evidenced by the fact that some schools only use 1 or 2 components of DAT scores.

U of T is trying to integrate the personality test as a component of admissions because research says it that a personality test is a tool that can be used to predict future success in dental school. Several studies can be cited here.

Dalhousie, on the other hand, also does a personality test, but they admit that it is not factored into their decision of acceptance.

hey Contach,

yah I think the past experience with the profession may be a bit sensitive to answer on here, given the fact that I have switched into research and applying for other career options. But neverless I still keep in close touch with my peers and colleagues in the dental profession.

Yes I agree, the CDA does exert little influence in what the schools choose as their main criteria. However, with that being said, one thing that I can say is that there is a push towards standarizing criteria's for selecting dental students. Hence, you can transfer scores between different schools. The personality test does count, but I would bet that its not alot, maybe in the next five or 10 years after we get a good sampling of the data will we ever know how to weight it in as a component of admissions.

Anyhow, good luck with your choice.

The personality test is still under consideration, and no it will most likely not have much weight in deciding who gets in.

As for the wait list, in most years, it moves by 30-35 spots. Ofcourse there are exceptions, but UT is a school that needs to go preety high in their wiatlist to fill the class. Good luck :)

I'm sorry -- just trying to clarify some things..

U of T did not go far into their waitlist last year at all. Many people were accepted outright in April.

I'm sorry -- just trying to clarify some things..

U of T did not go far into their waitlist last year at all. Many people were accepted outright in April.

I understand most people had an offer of admission in April. However if you look at all 4 years of Toronto's current DDS classes. You'll see that 100-105 offers were made before class is full. Its always been like that. Here is the class before yours.

http://utoronto.intelliresponse.com/topQuestions.jsp

( Edit: somehow link doesnt take u to exactly website, but if you go to UT dents, click on DDS and check out stats, youll find it. Also below I copied and paste the stats directly)

As for the ppl in DDS 1T2, they had about around 101 offers before the class was full I believe, but UT dents hasnt released this yet but ask Margaret, she'll let you know the numbers. Again 30ish spots up before class is full.

Statistics for the Doctor of Dental Surgery Program (DDS) 2007-2008 Session

TOTAL APPLICANT POOL: 565

Male: 235

Female: 330

Aboriginal: 0

Mean Grade Point Average: 3.55

Mean DAT Scores (0-30 range): Academic Average (AA): 19

Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 19

TOTAL OFFERS OF ADMISSION: 104

Male: 51

Female: 53

TOTAL REGISTERED STUDENTS: 64

Male: 31

Female: 33

Distribution by Province:

Ontario: 60

Other: 4

Level of University Education:

3 Years: 9

4 (or more) Years: 35

Master's: 18

Ph.D.: 2

Mean Grade Point Average: 3.91

Mean Interview Score (0-35 range): 28

Mean DAT Scores: Academic Average (AA): 21 {Range: 18-25}

Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 19 {Range: 14-27}

I understand most people had an offer of admission in April. However if you look at all 4 years of Toronto's current DDS classes. You'll see that 100-105 offers were made before class is full. Its always been like that. Here is the class before yours.

http://utoronto.intelliresponse.com/topQuestions.jsp

( Edit: somehow link doesnt take u to exactly website, but if you go to UT dents, click on DDS and check out stats, youll find it. Also below I copied and paste the stats directly)

As for the ppl in DDS 1T2, they had about around 101 offers before the class was full I believe, but UT dents hasnt released this yet but ask Margaret, she'll let you know the numbers. Again 30ish spots up before class is full.

Statistics for the Doctor of Dental Surgery Program (DDS) 2007-2008 Session

TOTAL APPLICANT POOL: 565

Male: 235

Female: 330

Aboriginal: 0

Mean Grade Point Average: 3.55

Mean DAT Scores (0-30 range): Academic Average (AA): 19

Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 19

TOTAL OFFERS OF ADMISSION: 104

Male: 51

Female: 53

TOTAL REGISTERED STUDENTS: 64

Male: 31

Female: 33

Distribution by Province:

Ontario: 60

Other: 4

Level of University Education:

3 Years: 9

4 (or more) Years: 35

Master's: 18

Ph.D.: 2

Mean Grade Point Average: 3.91

Mean Interview Score (0-35 range): 28

Mean DAT Scores: Academic Average (AA): 21 {Range: 18-25}

Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 19 {Range: 14-27}

Perhaps it's always been like that. For our class, the waitlist got up to 20 or 21 (low twenties) if I remember correctly. It also moved rather slowly.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29004

By the way, I hope I don't sound hostile especially on an internet forum. I don't mean badly.

Perhaps it's always been like that. For our class, the waitlist got up to 20 or 21 (low twenties) if I remember correctly. It also moved rather slowly.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29004

By the way, I hope I don't sound hostile especially on an internet forum. I don't mean badly.

Oh no, not at all daryn. No hostility at all :) .

I see you post here all the time, and your posts are extrememly helpful to pre-dents. Good luck with your studies.

To clairfy, 104 admission offers are from the year 2007-2008; 2008-2009 yr the wait list moved only 21 spots.

My mistake ;)

Yeesh, 21 spots.

Maybe I'd rather UT send out invites a little later now...:(

Oh well if the trend continues:

2006-2007 ~20 waitlist movements

2007-2008 ~40 waitlist movements

2008-2009 ~20, waitlist movements

...this cycle's looking pretty bright for wait-listers :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Im an US student (born in South America), planning on applying to dental schools in Canada this year. Im just learning about the whole CDA style interview and stuff... Since you guys already experienced and know about it maybe you can help me clear some doubts...

How is the interview? Setting? How many people in the room? Is it just you with the interviewers or is it a group interview? Hon long it is? etc!

Your answers will be greatly appreciated!!!!

CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO GOT IN!

Hey! Im an US student (born in South America), planning on applying to dental schools in Canada this year. Im just learning about the whole CDA style interview and stuff... Since you guys already experienced and know about it maybe you can help me clear some doubts...

How is the interview? Setting? How many people in the room? Is it just you with the interviewers or is it a group interview? Hon long it is? etc!

Your answers will be greatly appreciated!!!!

CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO GOT IN!

Its 45 minutes interview during which one candidate is interviewed by 3 interviewers. They ask you 7 questions related to some hypothetical situation or any situation you came across in past.

Its 45 minutes interview during which one candidate is interviewed by 3 interviewers. They ask you 7 questions related to some hypothetical situation or any situation you came across in past.

It varies a bit between schools.. at U of T it was 30 mins with 2 interviewers, but still 7 questions at Kittyp said.

Archived