Premed 101 Forums

UT Interviews...how did they go?

Mine went very well. In fact, it went exactly as well as my interview at UBC ;)

lol sammysmile, why don't ya stick with BC and give us small guys a chance for UT? :P

I found the experience to be better than I expected, as mentioned in the above two posts.

Lucky not to get any stone-facers.

Lack of food = -100 points for UT:mad:

It was pretty weird to see AntonellaM in real life lol

Overall, much more relaxed than I anticipated.

lol sammysmile, why don't ya stick with BC and give us small guys a chance for UT? :P

I found the experience to be better than I expected, as mentioned in the above two posts.

Lucky not to get any stone-facers.

Lack of food = -100 points for UT:mad:

It was pretty weird to see AntonellaM in real life lol

Overall, much more relaxed than I anticipated.

Were you there for the 11:15 interview?

To all of those that took the personality test this afernoon I got a bit of a random question. Did you circle your answers or fill them in? I missed it when they mentioned it and when I asked the proctor he said circle but didn't seem too sure of himself and after coming out I asked someone else and they said they filled in. So I was wondering what you guys did?

To all of those that took the personality test this afernoon I got a bit of a random question. Did you circle your answers or fill them in? I missed it when they mentioned it and when I asked the proctor he said circle but didn't seem too sure of himself and after coming out I asked someone else and they said they filled in. So I was wondering what you guys did?

I circled my answers.

I heard one of the proctors say circle to someone...maybe that someone was you? But they sounded confident so maybe not.

Also, when I submitted my answer sheet, another proctor took a quick look to see if I had answered everything and they didn't say anything, which leads to me think circling was fine.

For the personality test they said to circle the answers. Apparently it does have a bearing on the admission process. It has been taken into consideration for the first time since last year I believe. For current UofT dental students, how high on the waitlist did they go last year??

are the dental school interviews similar to med school interviews?

It varies across schools. I believe most dental schools in Canada utilize the CDA format, whereby interviewees are asked a standard set of behavioral/situational questions. Some schools just ask these questions while others also supplement with typical filler questions (eg. Why dentistry? Why this school? etc.). On the other hand, my interview at McGill was very similar to a typical non-MMI med school interview. Also, some schools in the east have apparently even started using the MMI format.

For the personality test they said to circle the answers. Apparently it does have a bearing on the admission process. It has been taken into consideration for the first time since last year I believe. For current UofT dental students, how high on the waitlist did they go last year??

The personality test is still under consideration, and no it will most likely not have much weight in deciding who gets in.

As for the wait list, in most years, it moves by 30-35 spots. Ofcourse there are exceptions, but UT is a school that needs to go preety high in their wiatlist to fill the class. Good luck :)

The personality test is still under consideration, and no it will most likely not have much weight in deciding who gets in.

As for the wait list, in most years, it moves by 30-35 spots. Ofcourse there are exceptions, but UT is a school that needs to go preety high in their wiatlist to fill the class. Good luck :)

Why do they go so far into their waitlist? Why is "UT a school that needs to go pretty high in their waitlist"?

Why do they go so far into their waitlist? Why is "UT a school that needs to go pretty high in their waitlist"?

Well, there are quite a few reasons for this. But i'll mention some of the top reasons why.

1) Believe it or not - alot of offers are actually declined for other schools. ie.) US schools mainly, and some go to McGill or Western. Again UT is a great dental school - there is NO DOUBT about that!

2) You'll notice (if you haven't already) alot of med applicants also apply to D-skool, and with med acceptances they decline the offer and open up wait list. (There is alot of movement on the waitlist for this reason)

3) There are always a few candidates who defer acceptances or simply don't have all the courses down/MSc/PhD done in time. (prob least from this group).

Cheers :)

I'm just wondering what your sources are for making claims like this.. seeing as how your previous posts show you're a grad student applying to med school..

I'm just wondering what your sources are for making claims like this.. seeing as how your previous posts show you're a grad student applying to med school..

it's true.. and it looks like at least once in the past he/she has been called on giving fallacious information in the pre-dental forum aswell:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218401#post218401

it's true.. and it looks like at least once in the past he/she has been called on giving fallacious information in the pre-dental forum aswell:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218401#post218401

Hey,

I'm just trying to answer your questions as best as I could from the info I know. That thread that you just pointed out, I see no merits to what those ppl have said either. As far as "fallacious info" take everything on the messageboard however you choose to. I'm just trying to help from my past experience with Dentistry....

But yah, don't charge at ppl without ever known what and where they came from.

As for the post above - please call the admin office and they will certainly give you a clarification on that info.

freebird - its my understanding that the CDA is in the process of trying to integrate the personality test as a component in the admin process. There has been a move towards incorporating it into the admin process. But certainly it is still in its infancy. However if it is incorporated, it would be quite too early to have it incorporated as a major portion of the deciding factor- as I have stated before.

freebird - its my understanding that the CDA is in the process of trying to integrate the personality test as a component in the admin process. There has been a move towards incorporating it into the admin process. But certainly it is still in its infancy. However if it is incorporated, it would be quite too early to have it incorporated as a major portion of the deciding factor- as I have stated before.

What is your "past experience" with Dentistry? I hope that is not too sensitive of a question to ask.

The CDA has little say on what any school uses in accepting students. This can be evidenced by the fact that some schools only use 1 or 2 components of DAT scores.

U of T is trying to integrate the personality test as a component of admissions because research says it that a personality test is a tool that can be used to predict future success in dental school. Several studies can be cited here.

Dalhousie, on the other hand, also does a personality test, but they admit that it is not factored into their decision of acceptance.

Archived