Premed 101 Forums

Class Closeness

Hey there everyone,

I was wondering how close is the class in terms of studying, getting along with everyone; does everyone know one another?

Also, how intense are the students there? are there gunner that try to out compete each other, or is there a mutual relation between everyone (i.e. not allot of competition)... is there a relaxed attitude between students?

I'd love to know how the class dynamic is at UofO.

Thanks

There is always competition going on, you can always count on that... people had to compete to get into med school, that competitiveness isn't leaving them any time soon. :o)

Med schools in general discourage competition.

But Ottawa definitely is one of those schools where the competition is not apparent (that doesn't mean there is lots of back-stabbing, lol). Everyone's very friendly and it's very laid back. Almost everyone knows everyone else, house parties are generally all-inclusive.

Obviously you have to go find your own friends to hang out with... but you can always find drinking buddies... it's the class favourite passtime :o)

Yes, Jerry is exactly right. We spend a lot of time together with the class, if you want to study with other people it is easy to find other people to do so, people share things they have that might help you study (i.e. old tests, text book chapters, summary sheets, handouts that one tutor gave, etc.), and we do a lot of extracurricular stuff together (i.e. house parties, going to bars, etc.)

So I'd say the class is not really competitive with each other at all, since it is pass/fail theres nothing to compete for, but the class is still going to be extremely motivated and intense that wain general :D

There will always be some people in any class that are going to be competitive. Whether or not you choose to hang out with those people or participate in the competitiveness is up to you.

1st and 2nd year are perhaps a little less competitive of the years. You may find it a bit more come 3rd and 4th year, where people are trying to get letters of reference and look good at programs they wish to match to for residency. But again, it is up to you whether you choose to be like that and whether you let a few keeners get to you.

Still curious though, how would one's experience at UofO be different from one's experience in smaller university (i.e. Sask:80students, Memorial:65students)?

It's hard to say if you're asking specifically for the medical school class (and hard to compare otherwise). I don't personally know anyone who's tried both medical schools.

I'd be nice if harsh competitiveness faded in medschool, but I'd still want to be surrounded by really motivated hard-working people!

---I just think it'd be a more stimulating environment.

With the new curriculum at UofO, I wonder how first year students spend their afternoons?

- Do many slack off and watch T.V.?

- Do many pursue non-med related hobbies?

- Do many seek clinical exposure or study in the library?

What's the class like in that respect? (I realize those are broad questions, but what's your approximation?)

Ah, that sounds good!

Still curious though, how would one's experience at UofO be different from one's experience in smaller university (i.e. Sask:80students, Memorial:65students)?

It would be hard for anyone to really answer that question unless they have attended all of those schools.

Good luck!

I'd be nice if harsh competitiveness faded in medschool, but I'd still want to be surrounded by really motivated hard-working people!

With the new curriculum at UofO, I wonder how first year students spend their afternoons?

What's the class like in that respect? (I realize those are broad questions, but what's your approximation?)

My guess (I'm only a second year) would be that the answer to all those questions would be yes.

There's a whole spectrum of people in the class. Some spend most of their time studying, some slack off, some play lots & lots of sports, others get lots of clinical exposure, most do a bit of everything. In general people are hard working and by the time of the exam, they know their stuff. In general, in the first 2 years at least, people also have an active life outside of medicine.

Ah, i see thats a valid point that no one really goes to two med schools, and wont be able to give a relatively realistic response

But, as an OOP student, who does not know anyone in Ottawa, I am just worried that you might be left alone to studies+electives... and lack the close friendships that could develop between friends to hang out/study together/do fun stuff

considering Ottawa is a bigger place, what i have in mind is that, people would show up for classes in the mornings... after those, everyone heads off in their own directions...etc... i come from a some what smaller city...

I haven't the experience in ANY med school but I'm guessing with smaller class size you get to know everyone in your class pretty well and people tend to get along fine (at least from what I've heard from 1st yr med students), but with larger class size, you have the advantage of greater diversity. So you will have SOMEBODY you can b really good friends with. At least that's the theory

The harsh competitiveness is gone but the class is extremely motivated and hard working, its a bit intense at times as everyone is so motivated.

First years spend their afternoons doing all of the things you've listed plus more, its really a range. A lot of this also depends on the week. For example, last week (since we had a midterm this Monday) I would guess that the majority was spending the time studying either at home or library both in groups and alone. This week, as it was right after the midterm, I would guess more people were spending some of the time going to movies, having fun, etc. A lot of the class does electives (each one approximately 10 hours, shadowing doctors), exercises/works out/plays sports, and studies during the evening times, but I'm sure they take time to watch TV or unwind as well. There are also a lot of talks with different interest groups (i.e. palliative care of an infant with hydroencephaly and tetrology of Fallot), volunteer work (i.e. presentations at elementary and high schools on health topics, reading with kids at CHEO), and intramural sports opportunities. I think some people even had part time jobs, though I'm unsure if they still do.

Ah, i see thats a valid point that no one really goes to two med schools, and wont be able to give a relatively realistic response

But, as an OOP student, who does not know anyone in Ottawa, I am just worried that you might be left alone to studies+electives... and lack the close friendships that could develop between friends to hang out/study together/do fun stuff

considering Ottawa is a bigger place, what i have in mind is that, people would show up for classes in the mornings... after those, everyone heads off in their own directions...etc... i come from a some what smaller city...

I understand your concern, but I don't think you have to worry. The medical school class is pretty close. Everyone makes friends pretty fast, during o-week or after if you miss o-week. Med students hang out together a lot, and although we do try to keep our friends outside of school, our main social circle (for most of us anyway) is still people in the class. You get a chance to get to know people better during small group sessions like CBL, etc., and even more so at the numerous social events. You probably won't be close with everyone in the class, but will most definitely find a group of your own with whom you will be close friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I do all of those things. There's plenty of time in our schedule for you to find a balance. Some people spend more time in the library than others. Some people spend more time on electives than others. It depends on how much time it takes you to study, but my experience is that you can fit in awesome clinical/OR time as well as studying, while having more than enough downtime to keep you sane.

Archived