Premed 101 Forums

How does UofT look at grad marks?

Do any of you know know UofT looks at graduate marks? I thought I would see if any of you know before emailing the adcom during this busy time for them. This is what I was able to find on this forum from previous posts. Anyone know if these are true?

The quantitative number I heard from a friend in UofT Dent is that a master's degree basically boosts your GPA up a letter grade (ex, a B+ to an A-), but I kind of have a hard time believing that. What have you guys heard?

I decided to e-mail UofT about the grad school question. They said grad courses will be counted twice in weight when calculating our GPA. I am not sure exactly how that's done tho.

Do any of you know know UofT looks at graduate marks? I thought I would see if any of you know before emailing the adcom during this busy time for them. This is what I was able to find on this forum from previous posts. Anyone know if these are true?

The adcomm will certainly say yes a grad degree helps. By how much, this they cannot let you know. But certainly if you hold an MSc or PhD....it will help you in the process...

I tried looking it up on the U of T website but couldn't find anything, so you might want to confirm this. But I heard at some point that U of T has a separate pool for people with grad degrees.. i.e. if you have a grad degree, you are competing against other people with grad degrees because undergrads are a separate pool. The grad pool is a lot smaller than the undergrad pool, which is why people say that a grad degree really increases your chances at U of T (compared to Western where you get more "bonus points" but you're still competing with the whole pool).

Not sure about how they deal with the actual grades though..

I tried looking it up on the U of T website but couldn't find anything, so you might want to confirm this. But I heard at some point that U of T has a separate pool for people with grad degrees.. i.e. if you have a grad degree, you are competing against other people with grad degrees because undergrads are a separate pool. The grad pool is a lot smaller than the undergrad pool, which is why people say that a grad degree really increases your chances at U of T (compared to Western where you get more "bonus points" but you're still competing with the whole pool).

Not sure about how they deal with the actual grades though..

There is no separate pool for grad students. That's U of T medicine.

It is true that a graduate degree (thesis based, not sure about course based) would help if your undergrad GPA is subpar. At least, it will help take you to the interview stage provided you make the DAT cut.

I don't know exactly the algorithm if there is one. But anyway, do you best now and hope for the best. Let them do the math.

Archived