Premed 101 Forums

My chances for an interview

Hey,

I am an Alberta resident. Currently in my 4th year at U of C doing a bio science degree.

My stats

1st year: 3.63

2nd year: 3.3:( :(

3rd year: 3.77

4th year: 3.94 (hopefully!)

best 2 years: 3.85

cGPA: 3.65

I dont have incredible ECs: around 200 hours volunteering at hospital, volunteered in Thailand for 2 months, working as a nursing attendant in OR and porter, did a little research over 1 summer but hoping to continue that for next year. I dont have much leadership positions though:( (only thing I can think of was being youth coordinator for my church and assistant captain for my high school basketball team).

I havent written my MCAT yet but im hoping to get something over 31

I am really excited that U of C and U of A are increasing their number of seats to 180, but still I feel all the students in bio science want to get into med school.

So what do u think, am I realistically competitive enough to get in?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Hey,

I am an Alberta resident. Currently in my 4th year at U of C doing a bio science degree.

My stats

1st year: 3.63

2nd year: 3.3:( :(

3rd year: 3.77

4th year: 3.94 (hopefully!)

best 2 years: 3.85

cGPA: 3.65

I dont have incredible ECs: around 200 hours volunteering at hospital, volunteered in Thailand for 2 months, working as a nursing attendant in OR and porter, did a little research over 1 summer but hoping to continue that for next year. I dont have much leadership positions though:( (only thing I can think of was being youth coordinator for my church and assistant captain for my high school basketball team).

I havent written my MCAT yet but im hoping to get something over 31

I am really excited that U of C and U of A are increasing their number of seats to 180, but still I feel all the students in bio science want to get into med school.

So what do u think, am I realistically competitive enough to get in?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Hi there! Sounds like you are aiminng for in province, which is understandable. I should mention though that if you can do your 3.94ish this term then you would have meet the queens and western cutoff's for GPA for an interview. You of course would have to do the MCAT and do well on that, but if you did you would very likely get those two interview slots.

Looks like you are working on your EC as well...

I dont have incredible ECs: .... I dont have much leadership positions though:( ...

I think those are excellent ECs... sounds like you've been doing things you enjoy and that are related to health care.

Write a good personal essay, describe your ECs and life experiences positively and with enthusiasm and you would also be in the ballpark as an OOP to UBC. Good Luck!

Archived