Premed 101 Forums

getting in-state residency status and tuition

Hey guys

i heard that universities have an interest in treating you as an in-state resident provided that you provide for them the necessary documents.. like a driver's license or a library card.. (as simple as that), that would demonstrate that you have been living in the state for a full year prior to your med school matriculation. the reason being is that this will sort of get them some bonuses or money from the state.. or they are able to free up a spot for another competitive out of state.. when now u simply take the spot of another in-state.. who might be less competitive than you.

so anybody heard about this? and do you think they will be picky and ask for a permanent resident card or a US citizenship.. or would they not care and just look for proof of state residency?

this might be helpful as it can allow you to get state tuition vs. out of state or international tuition.

if this is indeed the case and it could be possible, then maybe when i finish my master's in the summer i would just go and work in the US for the full year before September 2010.. and who knows.. maybe i would get into the medical schools in that particular state.

i'm just thinking out loud here.. i'm not sure how valid this idea is. i would appreciate some thoughts on this.. particularly on the feasibility of getting a science job as an M.Sc.

thanks!

Guest copacetic
Hey guys

i heard that universities have an interest in treating you as an in-state resident provided that you provide for them the necessary documents.. like a driver's license or a library card.. (as simple as that), that would demonstrate that you have been living in the state for a full year prior to your med school matriculation. the reason being is that this will sort of get them some bonuses or money from the state.. or they are able to free up a spot for another competitive out of state.. when now u simply take the spot of another in-state.. who might be less competitive than you.

so anybody heard about this? and do you think they will be picky and ask for a permanent resident card or a US citizenship.. or would they not care and just look for proof of state residency?

this might be helpful as it can allow you to get state tuition vs. out of state or international tuition.

if this is indeed the case and it could be possible, then maybe when i finish my master's in the summer i would just go and work in the US for the full year before September 2010.. and who knows.. maybe i would get into the medical schools in that particular state.

i'm just thinking out loud here.. i'm not sure how valid this idea is. i would appreciate some thoughts on this.. particularly on the feasibility of getting a science job as an M.Sc.

thanks!

getting in-state status may or may not help you in terms of tuition. it depends on the school. generally the official policy for most schools is that if you are instate you will pay lower tutition. however, some schools are reluctant to give up the higher tuition you pay, and you will have to go through some hoops and provide hardcore evidence that you not only reside in the state, but INTEND to remain there for a long while. one guy i know at wayne state (a canadian) got engaged to this american chick, even bought a house with her, and the school gave him a hard time with reclassifying as instate.

Hey guys

so apparently it really differs from school to school. but you don't need to be a Citizen or a PR to qualify. at Wayne state for example, you can be a holder of any of those visa types: A, E, G, H, I, L, R and TN and with some other requirements, you can get resident status!

I quote directly from their residence regulations and review procedures:

basically: "at least six months of continuous physical presence in the state" .. as a first step.

"for purpose of employment and not education" ... so you need to be there on a work permit (shouldn't be too hard)

now the important part for us:

6. Non-U.S. Citizens

A non-U.S. citizen may apply for resident status in the same manner as a citizen, if (s)he is in the United States for other than a temporary educational purpose. .. etc etc then they ask for either of 4 types of evidence and one of them is:

c. An alien with a current valid visa type issued for purposes of working in the United States, and currently working in the State of Michigan. These currently include visa types of A, E, G, H, I, L, R, and TN.

MSU is also somewhat similar in their requirements but i think they don't have the option of the H visa and they require a full year of presence.

so if anybody knows of some easy states to establish resident status in, perhaps interested applicants can go there and establish residency. For me for example, I will be done my master's soon hopefully, and I want to get some employment, and since i don't really have any family in Canada, might as well go work where it can best help me get into a medical school.

Archived