Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Physics - best review?

Everlast

I've been searching through old threads but can't seem to come to a consensus on what review books people think are best for MCAT physics. I am a strong science student but have only studied basic (non-calculus) physics - this was in the first year of my undergrad.

I already have the complete Kaplan book which I used to prepare for the MCAT when I wrote it last year. My physical sciences score was weak (9) and I feel that this is mainly a reflection of my lack of experience with physics. I really did not find the Kaplan book very useful in this area.

I am rewriting in August and this time around I am planning on focusing on doing more practice tests, with an emphasis on doing more physics review and physics questions.

What books are most highly recommended for MCAT physics?

If you do research you'll find that Berkeley Review is best on content and quantity and similarity of passages to MCAT. Mine will be coming in soon so I can tell you.

Nova was runner up, but the passages were too easy, and the discretes go from very simple to very hard in half a page.

TPR is decent. It's very mathematical/calculation based which is good. Practice passages I haven't got to yet, but heresay is that they're a bit easier.

EK I found was terrible, but then again, after doing AAMC after AAMC practice, there really isn't much to know other than relationships in concepts/equations. The passages for EK are way harder than what you'd find on an MCAT. The 1001 book is good for solidfying concepts but its still too micro-scoped for an MCAT.

I found I had scores around 10 on PS despite feeling very uncomfortable with physics.

berkeley is extremely detailed, if you go thru it all slowly youll do really good on this section but it will take you forever to get thru.

nova is more manageable, i would recommend nova unless you are aiming for 13+ in this section.

kaplan/tpr/examckrackers are all pretty useless in comparison to berkeley/nova

I have heard good things about The Berkley Review, but I am in Canada so ordering them is a bit expensive and shipping will take a while. I have never heard of Nova but it is availiable through Amazon, which is ideal.

Has anyone else had any success with Nova Physics book?

I got mine today (BR)...Amazing stuff. 13 passages that mimic MCAT and 100 discretes per topic (10 topics). I have Nova but I didn't like it, a lot of people swear by it though.

Where did you get it?

I just got NOVA and just skimming through it (haven't started yet). I can see why people state that it goes from 0 - 100 in terms of difficulty in a matter of a page.

I relied soley on the Examkrackers books. I had not taken any physics in university, and only one year in high school - which was about 15 years earlier. After going through the EK books, I felt extremely confident in my PS performance. I got my best mark on the PS section - 12.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

I relied soley on the Examkrackers books. I had not taken any physics in university, and only one year in high school - which was about 15 years earlier. After going through the EK books, I felt extremely confident in my PS performance. I got my best mark on the PS section - 12.

Best wishes to you.

Elaine

++

EK is the way the to go. Short, concise, and it's really all you have to know.

Oh I got it directly from the vendors but had to route it through a US address to reduce shipping and eliminate insurance fees. It still cost about 100 CAD a book, worth it for me...I delayed my MCAT...I was getting 10 10 and verbal would fluctuate between 7-9 - not sure how I'd improve this though, but at least with the BR's I can drive up the PS scores. It seems that recently, the trend has been way harder MCAT's than you'd see on the AAMC's, they put the PS section on steroids. Anyway miraculously (or by statistical standardization) people's MCAT score reflects the AAMC diagnostics...go figure.

I honestly don't think EK is great for someone with no background. I had a lot of problems with it, even with a background...5 years ago. Elaine is probably a super genius. In any case, the EK physics book is pretty cheap so it wouldn't be that detrimental to buy and see for yourself. I personally had a horrible experience with it, many on SDN have reported similarly. It's short enough to do a pass through without sacrificing much time though. You might like it, might not...

I honestly don't think EK is great for someone with no background. I had a lot of problems with it, even with a background...5 years ago. Elaine is probably a super genius. In any case, the EK physics book is pretty cheap so it wouldn't be that detrimental to buy and see for yourself. I personally had a horrible experience with it, many on SDN have reported similarly. It's short enough to do a pass through without sacrificing much time though. You might like it, might not...

LOL - I wish! Rather, I found that the book provided the information I needed, without adding any superfluous info. The practice materials (both in the review book and the 16 Mini MCATs book) were also quite helpful.

That said, like others, I believe it is important that you find materials that work best for you.

Best wishes,

Elaine

I keep hearing Berkeley Review is best for Physical Sciences, IF you have time and start well ahead. Whereas, ExamKrackers gives a good general overview of all the concepts, just what is needed.

I think I am gonna use the Berkeley Review to start and then move on to other methods.

My parents are gonna go to L.A in June, think I'm gonna order the Berkeley online and ship it to family in L.A then my parents can just bring it over.

The OP has taken 1st year physics.

I know 4 people who exclusively used EK to study for the PS section (well, they did for the other sections too, but only PS is of concern here). They scored 15, 14, 14, 14. All of them only took first year physics as well.

Hmm....so what is the best MCAT physics prep' book? Too many choices listed here. I've got TPR, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Still got that Kaplan book for you, but here to hoping you don't need it!

I found that one was complete enough for me, was clear and understandable.

Still got that Kaplan book for you, but here to hoping you don't need it!

I found that one was complete enough for me, was clear and understandable.

Thanks so much! I'll let you know May 15th hehe.

Sounds like between the Kaplan book and TPR I should be good overall. I'm not signing up for a course. Instead, I'm making sure I've got awesome books and much motivation :)

• 4 months later...

I wasn't too good at physics (first time writing I got a 9). Second time, I used EK physics, EK 1001 questions in MCAT physics, supplemented it with TPR physics when I had to. After reviewing concepts alone, was only scoring around 6/7 on practice exam and worked really hard on improving my test-taking strategy and skill (score steadily went up, eventually got an 11 on the rewrite). I feel the EK series gave me the skills necessary to do well, but remember, TEST TAKING SKILL is just as (if not more important than) getting comfortable with concepts.

Archived