Premed 101 Forums

Why people choose alternative medicine

systemic candida? Did you mean GI candida?

no, he means systemic. lots of people who go to NDs discover they 'have' this. My former roommate explained to me that she was 'allergic' to sugar because the yeast in her blood fed off it and made her sick. So many things wrong with that that I cannot begin, not the least of which was that she claimed to be allergic to sugar and therefore could not have candy, but ate tons of fruits and sweet potatoes etc.

no, he means systemic. lots of people who go to NDs discover they 'have' this. My former roommate explained to me that she was 'allergic' to sugar because the yeast in her blood fed off it and made her sick. So many things wrong with that that I cannot begin, not the least of which was that she claimed to be allergic to sugar and therefore could not have candy, but ate tons of fruits and sweet potatoes etc.

So basically, they recommend all the stuff that's already been proven by MDs, PhDs, and dietitians (candy = bad....fruit = good...), except for the explanations are absolutely ridiculous?

So basically, they recommend all the stuff that's already been proven by MDs, PhDs, and dietitians (candy = bad....fruit = good...), except for the explanations are absolutely ridiculous?

Basically. And then it's the 'magic' of natural medicine that you have more energy etc.

I think it's simple. A lot of people are stupid. So if they're given a stupid explanation like "the yeast in your blood feeds off sugar, which is why you are allergic to it", it probably makes sense to them. I remember breathing fumes as I saw some 'doctor' on a talk show saying that the secret to avoiding cancer is to stop eating sugar. Why? Because he did a lot of 'research' (i.e. reading papers he doesn't even understand) and discovered what your doctors aren't telling you - ALL CANCERS FEED ON SUGAR! So by eating sugar, you're FEEDING your CANCER!!

So his simple solution to cure cancer is to stop eating sugar. Because without sugar, cancer can't survive. Revolutionary! Yet again, someone who clearly doesn't understand the first thing about physiology, or even what the word "sugar" means.

I'll add though that massage therapy kicks ass. Not necessarily for medical reasons, but because it's just plain fun. It's like being prescribed ice cream therapy - who would argue with that?

Archived